ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Z in storage for about a year. It was running fine when it was parked, but now it has a problem. I won't rev over 3500 rpm and it chokes and died if you give it to much gas. I pinched off the gas line to restrict the fuel flow and it runs smooth.
I have checked the cold start valve, and there are is nothing blocking air flow to the engine.
Does anyone know what would cause this???

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have had my Z in storage for about a year.
> It was running fine when it was parked, but
> now it has a problem. I won't rev over 3500
> rpm and it chokes and died if you give it to
> much gas. I pinched off the gas line to
> restrict the fuel flow and it runs smooth.
> I have checked the cold start valve, and
> there are is nothing blocking air flow to
> the engine.
> Does anyone know what would cause this???

Check for loose or corroded conections on the cylinder head temp. sensor. Tell if it works.

Will.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have had my Z in storage for about a year.
> It was running fine when it was parked, but
> now it has a problem. I won't rev over 3500
> rpm and it chokes and died if you give it to
> much gas. I pinched off the gas line to
> restrict the fuel flow and it runs smooth.
> I have checked the cold start valve, and
> there are is nothing blocking air flow to
> the engine.
> Does anyone know what would cause this???
Did you pinch off the supply line, or the return
line? It could be a fuel pressure regulator problem. Check to see what the fuel pressure is with an inline guage. Good luck, Joe

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Your fuel pressure should be about 36.3 psi per Nissan. If it is higher than this it will tend to flood your engine. Replace fuel pressure regulator if it is 38 of more. I installed a pressure gauge in my fuel line between the fuel filter and the engine. There is about 8 of hose there that makes a 90° turn from vertical to horizontal. Used a brass 'T' block with 5/16 barbed hose fittings with 1/8 pipe threads and a small gauge that reads 0-100 psi with a 1/8 pipe thread fitting. Used the T-block to make the 90° turn. Cost nearly $50 so you may want to borrow one. My Z runs 34 psi at idle, jumps to about 38 when accellerator is first pushed, and then settles in around 32 at speed. My engine runs lean. I'llfind out this next week if the pressure is the real problem or if it is something else.
Is your car running rich? It could be running lean. Are the tips of your plugs black (rich), brown (OK), or white (lean)?? Knowing which will help you start on the right items. It sounds rich. Just checking the connector at your engine temperature sensor isn't enough though. It has a pigtail that runs about 16 where there are bullet connectors that ties it in to the rest of the wiring harness. The connectors are covered by some shrink tubing so you'll have to look for a lump in the wiring. These connectors corrode over time and the extra resistance to electrical flow makes your ECU think the engine is cold and it will increase the pulse duration on your injectors. Results are a very rich running engine, very rough idle, no power, etc. I replaced the whole section from the engine temperature sensor back through these connectors with all new from my local Nissan dealer. $7.50.
Phantom

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I went out and worked on my car today. I cleaned that bullet connector for the temp. sensor, and that didn't do it. Then i started to pull off fuel injector connectors.
When I took off the #1 injector connector the car started to run better. I can even leave the connector off and it work better.
So, i think that the #1 injector is stuck open.
Any other ideas????

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Keep Going!!

sounds like you have found your problem. Take a long handled screwdriver, or motor stethoscope if you have one, and listen to each of your injectors. Plug #1 back in so you can listen to it too. If it is stuck it will sound different than the others. Not the same clackety-clack. You may have a few others that sound different. If so - it sounds like it may be time for a new set of injectors if you can't mechanically clean them up and get them to work.
Phantom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.