ZCar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in need for an expansion valve for 77 280z. Mine is stuck. If you have any in stock please let me know IMG_1504.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
these are no longer available from Nissan and unfortunately even harder to find. your best bet is to fine a car in a salvage yard that still has its control unit intact and remove the valve from that one. that's what I did when I installed the a/c in my 280. don't bother getting an aftermarket unit.. some places list one as being for the 280z, but its actually for a 280zx, which is different. in fact I believe that one comes integral with the evaporator core, while the 280 one is a separate valve.

Bon

·
Registered
979 Posts
is it really stuck? they can be partially disassembled, if the system was open for a long time likely to have rust. Dissassembly involves unscrewing the internal slug (note the depth by measurement, turn count, theads, whatever works for you) get it out and then there is a needle assy IIRC, get it out, dunk the whole thing in some evap o rust, and reassemble. really the only thing that can go wrong is you lose the charge in the little copper tube. I have some videos of testing one using a vacuum pump and some freeze spray to test the orifice action.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you guys for the reply. Yeah I have been to many junk yards and the car itself is hard to find.

I ddnt know you can restore these. Yes after recharging it I get -10 instead of about 30-40psi on the low side. Im going to try to pull the refrigerant out and disassemble it per your instructions. If no luck, i guess have no choice but to buy the newer evap with the new expansion valve. If you can send me the link of the video that would be cool.

Thank you.

·
Registered
979 Posts
check to see if there is a screen at the fire wall connection on the high side (engine bay side) could be plugged?

·
Registered
979 Posts
something I have thought of doing, IF the evap is no leaking, then maybe you could take the old tvx remove the needle completely, essentially making it just a manifold to hook up to the evap, then in front of it install a reg after market style tvx to the inlet side of the old modified one. Run the little copper tube into the coils and call it done.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
If no luck, i guess have no choice but to buy the newer evap with the new expansion valve.

Thank you.

what do you mean? are you talking about a stock unit from Nissan? for a 280z?

Bon

·
Registered
979 Posts
there is an aftermarket evap coil for the 280z that comes with a standard universal style tvx. I think that is what he is referring to. IIRC about 300-400$ depending where you buy. sold as a replacement for the stock evap/tvx.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
there is an aftermarket evap coil for the 280z that comes with a standard universal style tvx. I think that is what he is referring to. IIRC about 300-400$ depending where you buy. sold as a replacement for the stock evap/tvx.
hmmmm. that's interesting. I didn't know about that. I thought he was going for the one that is actually for the 280zx. $300 bucks is a bit pricey don't you think? what is the manufacture?

thanks,

Bon

·
Registered
979 Posts
hmmmm. that's interesting. I didn't know about that. I thought he was going for the one that is actually for the 280zx. $300 bucks is a bit pricey don't you think? what is the manufacture?

thanks,

Bon
yes a bit pricey, but if the alternative is no ac or an ac kit that requires a ton of fabrication it may be the best route. That's why I was thinking if you could salvage the evap coils and just install an after market tvx for a few bucks may be a cheap alternative. All depends on if the evap is good AND if the idea of using the modified factory evap as a manifold would work. I would try it before popping the 300$ if I was paying the bill.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes a bit pricey, but if the alternative is no ac or an ac kit that requires a ton of fabrication it may be the best route. That's why I was thinking if you could salvage the evap coils and just install an after market tvx for a few bucks may be a cheap alternative. All depends on if the evap is good AND if the idea of using the modified factory evap as a manifold would work. I would try it before popping the 300$ if I was paying the bill.

Yes I meant about the new style expansion valve with the evap on it.

I will try to disassemble the expansion valve and see it I can still able to clean it. I woll also check that screen and hopefully thats the only issue. If not. I can take it to an AC shop, remove the needle and install a new style expansion valve. Hopefully they can do it. Summer is already here. Gotta grt this AC fixed.

If not. I have no choice but to burn $400 for the new part.

Thanks again fellas for the help and recommendation.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Just remember the idea of removing the needle and installing a different tvx is just an idea, I have not done it and do not know if it would work. If you decide to go that route talk it over with one of the AC guys at the shop to see if they think its a valid idea.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
yeah, I would do the same thing. luckily, the expansion valve that I put on my 280 was still a working valve. thanks for the good info on that.

Bon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts