ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the process of checking the wiring on my 82 turbo engine in my 77 280z.
the harness from the 82 is all hooked up, but the ignition coil and power transistor get wired into the 77 280z harness. There are some parts im not sure i need to connect or what to do with them. I mean the resistor and transistor ignition unit which is located near the fuses. do i need those parts?

i want see if anyone can verify which wires go where.
i have the colors for the ignition from the 77 harness up front.
These go to the ignition coil and resistor.
4 wires:
1- BW (ring connector)
2- BL (spade connector)
3- BL (spade connector)
4- L (ring connector)

Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what your setup is. Are you using an 82 turbo distributor? If so, you do not need the transistor ignition box anymore. Also get rid of the injector dropping resistors, 77 coil and resistor. You will need the 82 turbo coil and power transistor (I've heard the 84-89 coils work too). If you have the 82 ECCS wiring harness then all should hook up just fine. All you need to do is match the ECCS wiring to the main wiring harness.

·
Registered
972 Posts
From a '76 FSM:

(L) Blue: Ignition Signal Feed from transistor ignition unit. Instead of being generated by the transistor unit above the fuse box, this will now come directly from your distributor with integrated transistor unit. But, to feed the tachometer you could backfeed the ignition signal using this wire AFTER removing the old TIU from inside the car.

(BL) Black w/ Blue: Ignition Coil Start power, with key in "START" position the wire has power, this bypasses the ballast resistor and allows for a hotter spark during cranking. You won't use this.

(BW) Black w/ White: Ignition Coil Run power, with key in "START" and "RUN" position this wire has power. This will feed power to the new distributor/coil unit.

The other BL probably goes to the ignition condenser.

ConorP

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check this out!

You need to get a Haynes manual for ’79 to ’83 280ZX. This is the one with the red cover. Look on page 252, this is the wiring diagram. You will see 3 plugs labeled “1,2,3” with circles around the numbers. This is at the lower lefthand side of the page.

The wires are as follows:

Plug 1= BR 12v power source. Positive

G 12v power source. Positive
*on the service manual this was an aux. plug and not used. However, connect both to a 12v power source.

Plug 2= Y start signal (+) (to ign switch, only during cranking)
GL ground for inhibitor switch
YW speed sensor (not necessary)
Y A/C signal (+) (for fast idle)
YW coil (-)
B fuel pump ground if using modulator

Plug 3= LR fuel pump relay (12v for relay)
G ignition signal (12v+) for air regulator
W not used
Y not used
BW ignition signal (+)

Thank Chastryan for this one!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Re: check this out!

Why didn't you just use the 77 harness? That's exactly what is in my 260. The earlier harness is much easier to use and maintain, and the car will idle and run much smoother, not to mention the haedaches you are gouing through now with rewiring your car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.