ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring a 77 280Z back to stock. The fusible link blew (alt/batt) so I checked the obvious. Decided to replace both alternator and regulator and not deal with figuring out which is bad, they're both of unknown age.
BUT...

Problem A:
The voltage regulator on the car now is a FORD part. The normal plug to the harness was butched down to 4 wires with female terminals. The wiring diagram shows an original set of six wires, colored blue, white/blk, black, yellow, white/red, blue --connecting to E, IG, A, F, N, L, respectively). Naturally, the wires to the Ford VR are not made from the cut off terminal wires. There is also a blue wire that connects to a condensor, not currently attached but not hacked.

My Solution: new connector plug on butched connection to restore to original specs. New fusible link. Reattach condenser connection. I'm losing about 8" of wire. How badly will this affect the resistance? Do I need to splice in the missing length? Do I have enough wire NOT to?

Problem B:
The alternator is supposed to connect with two leads and the harness connector. One lead has two wires that come together at the alternator, one solid, one striped. The the striped (yellow/brown)wire is cut and not connected to anything and the solid wire (yellow) is directly connected.

Question: What does the stripe wire go to? The wiring diagram is too small and unclear to trace.

Proposed solution: reattach the wire to the harness unless it went to A/C which was also removed. (In which case I hope he didn't leave the other half hanging... but that's too much to hope for).
Am I on the right track?

Are there any in-line fusible links in the harness that I haven't located?

Does the death penalty apply to idiots who wire like the prior owner?

Elaine
(dreaming of strangulation by butched wiring harness)

·
Registered
66 Posts
In regards to your VR, I would wire the new stock connector with the length of wire you feel has been cut out and splice it to the wire harness. In addition, check your fusible links to ensure you have the correct wires in the proper slots, no telling what has been done. As for the alternator, I will take a peek at my wires and get back to you. In regards to the death penalty, I felt like it should have been imposed on the person who had my cars wiring screwed up but, putting a "Ford" part on a "Datsun Z" is a signal of a lower life form and I don't know if it applys. Good luck. :>)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't sweat the wire length and resistence. There is PLENTY of margin built into any of the automotive systems to account for different wire lengths. If you do splice in a new piece, use wire of at least the same gauge as the existing.

If Richard doesn't get back to you, email me and I will take a look on mine (which is totally stock)

I know of no other fusible links.

You are on the right track restoring the stuff back to stock!

Good luck, and have fun with your Z!

Patrick Robinson

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Update it, perfect time.

Might be a good time to change to the internallly regulated alternator. It's a breeze, and cleans up the engine compartment. I have the procedure if you want it, E mail me. Tim

·
Registered
66 Posts
RE: 77 280 Alternator/response

Checked my wiring last night when I got home. From what I can tell and have tried to do also is to keep my car as close to stock also. Looking at the alternator from the back, you should have a single black covered wire on the left, in the middle, there should be a two wire connector attached to the back of the alternator, and on the right, I have the solid and striped wire connected. In addition, there is a wire that comes out with a pig-tail connection which terminates into a condensor of some type from the two wires you have quesions about. Hope this helps out your quest. :>)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.