ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I've been researching Z car prices and I am heading to view a clients 280z that has been stored for years. Supposedly has only 40,000 miles and is all original and in good shape, slight rust on rear fender. This guy is the second owner and claims the car is "cherry" Will see it next weekend, but would like some feedback before I get there..... He wants $3,000 for it and claims it is a firm price. Wife is forcing sale, has told her for years that it was a trashed vehicle, she just found out that it was worth something, YIKES!

Dean

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Dean,
I paid $3,200 for my '77 in 1992 with 101,000 and it had a "little" rust around the gas filler opening.
Here's what you need to tell these folks - the truth - if the car appears to look real good then tell them that. Also tell them that a car that has set up a long time will have flattened cords (or steel belts) in the tires and they will fail within 10,000 miles. Tell them all the fuel and water line hoses will be rotted which means replacing all of them AND the fuel injectors since they have integral hoses going down to them. Tell them that every electrical connector in the wiring harness will be corroded which will require countless hours of troubleshooting and cleaning/replacing to repair.
Check the front rails where the engine mounts are and ensure they are rust free. Look under the battery tray and see if the support is still there. Lift the carpet and look for rust on the floor boards. Lift the hatch and look for rust along the trailing edge of the hatch, underneath. Look at the dash, is it cracked? If it isn't that is very good. If it is a new dash is $700. Look at the seats, is the upholstery intact, no holes. If it has holes a reupholstery kit will cost you about $250. does the clock work? A new one is around $150. What size tires/wheels does it have? Should be 195/70-14's on steel 5 1/2" wide wheels with hub caps. Is all the glass good? check the rubber around the doors and the windows. A replacement rubber molding kit will run nearly $500.
If the cars exterior is pretty much rust free, the interior is clean, runs and drives good, the dash is crack free and the parts look all stock and original thenit is worth the $3,000. If any of the above is wrong then figure out what it is going to cost you to fix it and, if they are not willing to come down some, walk away.
If the car has rust in the the front clip frames or under the floor mats - walk away. Cancer is very hard, and expensive, to defeat.
Phantom

·
Registered
90 Posts
76z:phantom is right

Phantom covered this very well. Remember, buyer beware. There are many z's out there, take your time and be sure you get a good one.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
just bought a 76 z running-no rust,for 500.00 but the interior is shot,needs fender,rubber,dash,paint,a new trans soon.+ anything else that comes up.you choose.i dont mind cause i enjoy it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.