ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to check out and '76 280z tomorrow. The man in the front of the shop said just between me and him it was a rust bucket, and it belonged to the guy in the back of the building. The guy in the back said he put a new paint job on it and all it needs is bumper fillers and the fuel injectors need to be cleaned. He said he would put it up on a lift and let me look under the hood and everything. I need to know what to look for especially.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: '76</b>

Watch for rust along the fram rails from just infront of the front suspension all the way to behind the doors. Check the areas around the sway bar mounts, Battery tray, Rocker panels and the entire floor. I know it sounds like "just check the entire underbody" but it is mostly true the car is a unibody and the entire body is used for the strength.
Check under the carpets too to be sure. Any sign of FIBREGLASS in these areas means TROUBLE!!!!!!!!! unless you are just looking for a parts car or a huge project. Don't worry as much about driveline/brakes/suspension... they all can be replaced or fixed easily and RELATIVELY cheap.

Best advice it to bring a knowledgable friend along and check the car over thoroughly. A friend and I took one hour looking at everything we could look at before I bought mine.

Bring a magnet,mirror(for those hard to see areas), a philips and a flat blade screw driver (to peak behind panels and carpet.)

And finally do not check out the sound system while on a test drive. I actually had a sales guy try this on me once to cover up a wierd noise the car made.

Good luck

ZR8ED.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Hmmm...It all depends on how much he wants for the car...haha...
No doubt the new paint job covered up all the bondo and rust....Take the car to somone who is experienced in body repair...Those guys can just look at a paint job and tell you whats underneath...
also, any slight paint bubble will soon turn in to a rust hole...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Rust is the key

The panels really need removal for an adequate interior inspection.

The front air duct inlet must be romoved to look up the air duct to see how bad the rust is.

Even Southwest US Rust Free* z's have rust somewhere.

Good luck.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Rust is the key

Rust is truly the key. I went to look over my 75 280z three times and took a good while each time. James is right. The car has a unibody which is responsible for strength. If there is alot of rust underneath the car and in the engine bay area then you will have alot of trouble. The unibody also has alot to do with how the car handles out on the road. You may have a nice engine in there but if the unibody is rusted and warped as a result that car won't ever be able to truly move on the highway or be a safe ride for that matter. Yep, rust is the key. If there is alot of rust I would walk away. There are better ones out there.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Rusts faster than it goes...

These cars do rust, even at where you least expect it.
Check the sills and the supporting frames under the coupe. These usually rusts from the inside.
Hard to spot, as well as condense and leaking water, that usually collects under the seats.
I live in Sweden and the climate here has not been nice to my 1978 280Z so fighting the rust is a big task for us up here.
When all rust is fixed, primer and paint applied,
Bring on a thick layer of undercoating, and spray holes and hollows with some thin dinitrol. Also coat the inside of the front air dam (entirely, to avoid future surprises) Make sure all mountings,brackets,struts etc are covered, (Skip showroom standard if you want to use it!)

Hope this helps
Regards Marten Carlsson
Sweden

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.