ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a '76 Z with some light collision damage, and am trying to get it to run properly. It sounds pretty good when the engine is cold (although it could use a valve adjustment), but as the engine warms up, there is a long hesitation off idle. Under load, it will backfire until the revs get up over 2000rpm. I am told it is running very lean. I assume there is some electronic component in the fuel injection system that needs to be changed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.....

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Chris,
There is a device on top of your intake manifold called an air regulator. It's job is to add extra air when the car is cold to help combust the extra fuel fed by the cold start valve, etc. If it sticks in the open position the car will run lean once it warms up. Some folks have been able to disassemble it and clean it up but the usual fix is to replace it. When it is off you should also replace the hoses that run to the heater plate beneath it.
You could also be running lean due to the AFM being mis-adjusted. That will require a competent mechanic with an exhaust gas analyzer to set that up right. Good luck.
Phantom

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would also replace the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold. They are only about $25 and are supposed to be replaced every 60K I believe. Check the injector connnectores as well, they get all cruddy and cause problems. To me, the best thing first is the buy contact cleaner and di-electric grease and go through every connector and clean and grease. Any broken boots that cover the back of the connector I use Black RTV for resealing, it looks decent and keeps the water out.
Good Luck,
Joshua L.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.