ZCar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Z would not crank. Replaced fuel pump & air flow meter. Car will crank but stops after 30 sec to 3 mins. Acts like it is fuel starved. Could this be Electronic Ignition control or Transistor Ignition? Thank you I am clueless

·
Registered
154 Posts
First why did you replace the AFM and the fuel pump? Could you hear the old fuel pump operating? Can you hear the new fuel pump operating? If the pump is not operating you need to check the voltage at the pump and make sure 12-14 volts is there.

If not then you will have to see if the fuel pump relay is supplying voltage to the pump.This is assuming you are fuel starved.

Please give more info about your car.Has it been sitting for awhile, did you just purchase it, when was the last time it was running, and your knowledge level on Zcars.

Ron:|

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Z would not crank. Replaced fuel pump & air flow meter. Car will crank but stops after 30 sec to 3 mins. Acts like it is fuel starved. Could this be Electronic Ignition control or Transistor Ignition? Thank you I am clueless
Best advice I can give is DON'T EVER SPECULATE, always use proper diagnostic procedures. You can't fix a problem properly by throwing money at it. Find out if the fuel pump is pumping fuel which requires a fuel pressure gauge that goes to 70 psi or above, an electric circuit tester to see if the pump has power while cranking, then see if you have plenty of spark, and see if your injectors are firing by using a stethoscope, or a long metal screwdriver with the tip on the injector and the handle pressed up against the fleshy tab in the front of your ear. If you don't have spark it's usually the pickup coil in the distributor but it can also be the trignition box on the passenger side kick panel for the 74-78 cars. Z man of Washington

1 - 3 of 3 Posts