ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car was running awesome... then it got cold as **** out..... i took it out of the garage and drove to work with no problems..... then it got a good cold soaked into it..... then it was missing bad and running rich....... then it died and wouldnt start again....... what are some things to look at???? I did get it started again by taking out the plugs and cleaning them off..... but it runs really rich...... i have never done much with the car as i just got it.... but i do remember that when i was trying to set the timing i couldnt turn the dist far enough to get it into spec. Wheres the best place to start????? air flow meter? regulator? even wires maybe? coolant temp sensor? would that do it?? i wanna hear some ideas..... im gonna work on it fri night.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Re: 76 280z RUNS RICH!

sounds like your fuel regulator's bitten the dust. My 76 had the same problem when I first bought it. Every now and then, the engine would just get flooded with gas, you'd have to pull and dry the plugs, and hopefully be on your way till the next time. Changed the regulator...problem gone.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree with Z_man300. Check the fuel pressure regulator first. These things tend to get finicky in the cold weather.

Tom D.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Check all the vacumn lines that operate the pressure regulator before you go buy a new one though. They like to split in the cold and if you just got this car, one of the first things I would do is replace any old vacumn lines, then clean all the electrical connectors with a contact cleaner or a mixture of baking soda and water. Its a good idea to use some dielectric grease to protect them after cleaning (see post below)

One of the Z's worst nightmares besides rust, is poor electrical connections which totally influences the ECU. They also need some additional ground wires between the intake and body, exhaust and body in the rear, I add another from the block to the frame rail using 2gauge welding wire. My electrical system is very stable even with a stock 78 alternator. I can run headlights, heater fan, windshield wipers, and a stereo with 2 small amps - at idle my gauge stays constant at 14V even with a lumpy cam. It used to bounce all over depending on rpm.

Matt

·
Registered
87 Posts
It ran after you cleaned the plugs? If the plugs were fouled up, could be a problem with your choke. It might be that one of the choke butterflies is sticking, and this will make the engine run rich. They can stick if you keep the choke out too long in cold weather, I had this problem.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 76 280z adjustable regulator???

so if i need to buy a new regulator..... should i buy an adjustable one? where can i get one??? how much?? I plan on just putting some headers on this car and a cold intake system later on in its life..... thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.