ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son was given a 76 280Z by a neighbor. How do I know what engine is in it? What luck if any has anyone had repairing rusty floorboards.
Looking to strike up an ongoing email exchange with anyone interested in helping a 15 yr old with his first car.
The neighbor said he drove it as recently as last year. It is a bit rough but I think it is salvageable. Not able to get it to respond to battery power yet. We are replacing all cables. Ignition switch is out of it.. I have a digi cam and can send any pics necessary.
Help !! I will be checking my email as well as here for help.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
497 Posts
The 280z's have 2.8L Fuel Injected motors stock. Motorsport Auto in Orange, CA sell replacement floor pans, they seem a bit pricey but look to be good quality.

Pictures would be cool!

You might try attaching a push button switch to the starter solinoid and try cranking it that way. Also, make sure you have spark and fuel supplied. Once you have it running be sure to clean all the fuel injection plugs to all the sensors and injectors so that they are corrosion free. This will get ride of weird idle and fuel consumtion problems. Always remember that electrical resistance is the worst problem on these, when ever something is a bit odd, the connectors could be the culprit.

Good luck and keep us posted on progress!

Aren
'77 280z Modified

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sure, lets have a look at it.
I’m sure many people here will be glad to help you out.
There is a 280 z in great shape in one of our South East Florida Junk yards.
I wish I had your gumption; I would buy it and fix it up.
That 280z sure is a cool looking car.
I need one someday.

Madeline Michele
Hollywood, FL

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The engine is the L28. Rusty floorboards are fairly easy to replace if you have a welder and knowledge of metal fab. You can buy floor pan kits from several suppliers. Look in the links and parts and acc section of this site.
You must get a factory service manual for your sons car! I cannot stress the importance of having one enough. The Haynes and Chiltons pales in comparison to the FSM. If you are having trouble with any FI, wiring, ect, the FSM is the way to go. You can get a cd-rom version of the manual from www.zcarcreations.com or order a paper copy from Dyment 1-800-247-5321. I have the Dyment version (btw, they produce all the Nissan manuals), the photocopy quality is good. You will need over 400 plastic page protectors and a VERY large binder or two to keep everything together. The cd rom is $70.00 and the photocopy of the manual is $73.00 with shipping... choice is yours. If you are lucky you can find the fsm on EBAY.

·
Registered
200 Posts
hey whats up look as far as the battery problem try the fuseable link wires if you dont know what those are they are wires tha act like fuses the melt when the get hot the and if your wires are melted well thats your problem the fuseable link wires ate located on the passenger side strut tower inder some square caps go to to your local parts house and get new ones even if they arent melted replace them they are pretty cheap hope that helps...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the help. He is getting excited about this. In fact on his wish list this Xmas he is asking for me to spend a weekend with him just working on the car. After the neighbor gave him the vehicle I told him that he needed to start thinking about buying parts for it to get it in shape. He said he had that covered and that he was going shopping that evening. He came home with a new sound system for the Z. His idea of getting it in shape and mine are a bit different. I will start looking for a manual immediately.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Ah.... Kids!

Got a car that won't run, but gotta buy the stereo first! Just don't let him cut into the door panels to install speakers, or install a sunroof (big Z car no no! search the archives on that one...). Keep stressing him on the importance on getting to car to work before the stereo, new wheels, ect. And get that factory service manual! Oh, if you do not have a digital voltmeter, better get one of those too, along with a nice metric tool set!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No 12V power !! I can not get the system to recognize the battery. No lights (headlights or dash). I have replaced both cables. Have good ground but nothing. Does any one know what the values of the fusble links should be. Still looking for a manual.
Have digi pics if that will help
Thanks in advance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.