ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks I'm stumped. My son was playing in the car and left the key on all night. In the morning. After I charged the battery, something odd happened with the timing...I think. When it tries to start, they symptoms are the same as if the timing chain were off a tooth. Backfires through the intake, etc. I can crank the distributor all the way to one side and get it started, but it barely runs. I've replaced the computer, the distributor to no avail. The coil has good spark, or so it appears and I don't think thats the problem. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Mike,
This is a new one. I do remember in days gone by that there was a real concern about leaving the ignition hot as it would waste the points. Your 280 doesn't have points but maybe the distributor rotor or cap got damaged?
I assume the car ran fine before this incident so put everything back the way it was and start looking for melt downs.
Maybe someone else has experienced this and knows the specific answer. I hope so.
Phantom

·
Registered
432 Posts
> Ok folks I'm stumped. My son was playing in
> the car and left the key on all night. In
> the morning. After I charged the battery,
> something odd happened with the timing...I
> think. When it tries to start, they symptoms
> are the same as if the timing chain were off
> a tooth. Backfires through the intake, etc.
> I can crank the distributor all the way to
> one side and get it started, but it barely
> runs. I've replaced the computer, the
> distributor to no avail. The coil has good
> spark, or so it appears and I don't think
> thats the problem. Any suggestions??

> Thanks in advance.

> Mike

Mike, I think Phantom is on to something, but instead of the points being in the dist. we should be looking at the cold start, air temp, and fuel supply points in the fuel injection system. these were all energized overnight while critical parameters changed i.e. ambient temp, and possibly fuel pressure ( any even minute leaks???). i would start by releasing fuel pressure ( the shop manual outlines the procedure)and resetting it. This involves jumping across two connectors near the cold start valve. changing your computer should have taken care of any sensor malady, so this is why i would approach it from a fuel standpoint. just a hunch. let us know what works...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.