ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiYaAll,
Got the vacuum workin on my 75~ split vac tube, now have no heat.
If its the control valve can I just pull out the console and replace the valve
or do I have to do some dashboard surgery?
Would not having a thermostat in cause same symptoms?
Help it's gettin cold here in Mich?
Ron

· Registered
5,716 Posts
The absence of a thermostat would, in cold weather, cause your heater not to work. So the first thing you ought to do is put one in or buy another set of long undies. Secondly, are your various heater control cables hooked up and working? The next thing to check is if your water control valve is working. Those go out on Zs with some regularity (3 of 4 Zs I've owned have come with those seized up). Oddly, the arm may move on the valve, but it still might not be admitting water. A quick and dirty check I've used is to remove the heater hoses, stick a garden hose in one of them, turn it on, and have someone inside do the controls. If it's working, obviously, water will pour out of the other hose when the heater is "on" and will stop when it's "off". (Oh yeah, probably best not to do this in the garage.) This test is also good for flushing out your heater core. I've seen so much goop come out of a heater core that had been sitting that it was no wonder it didn't work very well. BTW, this test will also reveal any weak cores, as the hose pressure can bust through a weakened one. Good luck — hope you get warm!

Oh, one more thing, if your vents and stuff don't work, that's a vacuum problem. All vacuum lines for the '75 dash vent system come from the white bottle and various gilhickies underneath it.

· Registered
408 Posts
If you don't have a thermostat in - I would say that's your problem. I have run my Z for a brief time without a thermostat - it ran cold all the time - the engine never really warmed up - and so, the heater woudn't put out any heat as a result. Get a thermostat in there - then if you have no heat - it could still be the servo vacuum on the flap thing

· Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks JR
I got the vents workin tonight, fixed the split.. you're absolutely right on that.
I would hope the core is'nt clogged. I'm leaning towards the valve, just want to know if I can replace it without tearin apart the dash.??
BTW I replaced the starter tonight.. works really good. The car is really **** except
that I need to replace the clutch next week.
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.