ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a preferred year of 280Z gas tank for a ZXT conversion on a 1973 240Z? I heard rumor that the 77-78 tanks require modification of the wheel well. Also, are there any problems when installing a 1982 fuel line set on a 73? Thanks in Advance, Dave.

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
75 to 6/76

They have the same spare tire configuration.
As for swapping in the fuel line set, AAAAH, maybe try this:
use the existing 73 fuel line for delivery, and use the fuel takn vapor vent line as the return. Simple tubing changes at the rear make this the fastest, and easiest route of all.
Either that or you can run hand-made lines. Those 280ZX lines are not worth anything in anything other than another ZX.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was told to use only a '75 gas tank in my '73 turbo conversion. I did and the original gas tank straps were to short by an inch or two. Get the straps from the '75 donor car if you can. On the fuel lines, I used a 6 foot long 3/8" straight steel line meant for fuel or brake line and attachet it to the lines already in the drive tunnel. I then used barbed adapters to fuel hose at each end. No bending of tubing required. The old 1/4" feed line then becomes the return line. I wanted to be sure there were no fuel delivery or over pressure return problems. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
yes, straps!

Get the straps. The fuel feed line on a 240 is 8mm, not 1/4" (5/16 would be closer to the number...) BTW.
The 75 and up to production date 6/76 tanks are identical. Also, if you are so inclined, and have acccess to them, a Fairlady Z tank 76-78 woiuld work, they are of the early style, they never got the big late-style tank sold here in the usa. That's why you can still get new 73 and before tanks, and 75 to 6/76 tanks from Nissan, those both were in production worldwide until 78...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.