ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got this car that has been sitting in a field for 5years.... none of the gauges accept for the speedo volt meter, the head lights are kinda dim and so are the dash lights. and the wind shield wipers are slow as **** i'm not sure if the alt is charging but with a battery with a full chage it is like this...but the engine turns over great, but every light is dim , all of the glass fuses are good, all of the fuse links are good (according to test light) and the wireing haress is un molested, so where should i look ? there is a ground wire going to the fire wall.. oh yeah i just hooked up a '83 alt and it is charging , but at low rpm if i pull the cable, it will stutter and go dead.. reved up and i pull it , the lights get alot brighter...

Post Edited (Oct 9, 12:45am)

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Then Id start cleaning connectors, looking for old corroded stuff to get rid of, and Id get some new battery cables, too. Been there....done that... :eek:)

Oh....I learned the hard way...just cause its charging, just cause it 'appears' to be working correctly, doesnt mean the battery is any good. Boy, did I learn the hard way......Best of luck!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ground, Ground, Ground.

Use a test lead to probe ground wires... You will find a dirty connector or missing ground. (My dirty connector was in the fender well behind the headlights).

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Well ladies n gentlemen, that's why I'm going for the Painless wiring kit when I put my new motor in soon :-D Noooooo old crappy wires and creatively engineered wires for me. Straight new fuel injection stuff, and new chassis wiring :-D

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Gotta agree with you Matt... Old PO **** has caused me and my EFI a huge headache... Im one of those people that wants it done right, problem I have is ..I dont KNOW how to do it right... like so many here, we is-a learning... the best way of all--by doing. Of course, there is nothing better than new, Matt... best of luck to you!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.