ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been running great up to Monday night. I was heading out for some ice cream, and I couldn't get it started.

Several more attempts have been futile. The engine cranks, and fires, but dies when the key comes back to the "ON" position. I can keep it running if I can get it to rev. However, I have no power, and cannot get it revved past 3,000 rpm.

I have replaced the starter cables, plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. I have regapped the reluctor and pick-up on the distributor. No help. The battery is strong and I am getting spark.

I haven't checked the Transistor Ignition Unit yet. I am looking for a garage that has the testor. A new one costs $600+ from the Nissan dealer ship, so....

I can smell gasoline when it cranks, what might I look at on the carb or fuel pump?

Is it possible I jumped the timing chain? I didn't notice any unusual sounds.

Thanks for the help.
TGL

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Similar Problem....and Solution</b>

TGL,

I had the same problem on my 73 with electronic ignition. When I was cranking it, she would fire and run until I released the key to the on position.

On my car, right below the coil is a ballast resistor. two wires lead to it... mine sits horz. so there's one wire on the left and one on the right. The contacts on the right side were dirty. I cleaned them up and tighten up the clamping of the connector with needlenose pliers and the problem is gone. O' what a feeling to hear my baby runnning right again...

I don't know if this will fix your situation... but worth a look...

Cheers,
Dennis

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: Similar Problem....and Solution

The car is new (for me) and I had just added some fuel treatment. Haven't changed the fuel filter though...will try that and the connections near the resistor.

Thanks.
TGL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.