ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced this. For a while the first two setting on the wiper switch work just fine (intermitent/slow), but after about 30 min. the only setting that works is Fast. Then once I've stopped using the wipers for about another 30 min. all three settings work again for about another 30 min. etc.....

WTF?

· Registered
1,351 Posts
One night, when it was raining (when else!!) my wipers and some other components did not work. Well, I can suggest two things; the alternator/Voltage regulator, and the possibility of a leak. In my case, I ended up replacing the alternator and the V/R. All I know is that many electrical problems went away. In lookign at the schematic, you will see that many devices are connected directly to the alternator, and do not go through the V/R. I am not sure why this is the case, it just is. I think in this case it is the accessory relay, from which all fo these things get driven.

The other thing is water leaking in. Is there any water on the floor of your Zed? If so, you may need to replace your windshield seal.

Just some hints. These things are hard to debug.

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...

Those are both great suggestions. I will check the connectors, and as for water, I know that there is a bit that falls into the car right around the heater blower motor area. I think it's coming from the cowl inlet for the blower motor. All the other rubber is new on the car. **** that was alot of money, but worth it I suppose.

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Re: Thanks guys...

Gearhead, if you are getting water coming in through fresh air inlet for heater, check the cowl drains that go out through the far ends of the cowl area. About 1 inch diameter, if I remember correctly. They often got plugged up with leaves etc and wouldn't let the cowl area drain properly. They drain out down by the inside rear of the front fender. If you had water standing in the cowl it might also be a cause for a failing wiper motor. The motor itself provides the differences in speed (except the intermittant) with different windings. Perhaps if moisture there the motor might be getting rusty inside? Just a thought...

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks JohnH240...

Yeah, I really should take that whole thing apart and go through it all. I've done just about everything else on the car so I suppose that will be next.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.