ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to change the struts & springs in my '73. I took the front end apart and started with the right side. All went well till I tried to remove old strut from tube! After an hour or so of hammering (strut in vise, hammering on forging at base of tube) and a can of WD-40, it came out. put new one in, all's OK. I then went to the left side...much worse. I let it sit overnite bathed in WD-40. After over an hour of pounding, it didn't move an inch! I took it to a local shop and they used slide hammer etc, no luck. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get an assembly at a junkyard. I can't wait to get to the rears! Does anyone have a miracle answer to removing strut cartridges that have bonded in their tubes over the years? I'm all ears! thanks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had factory Nissan shocks on mine w/263,000 miles (look just like the ones in the haynes manual)when I went to change them and they had fallen apart and the top o-ring had fallen around the shock and all the liquid had leaked out into the tube making a real bad vaccum. I was able to pry the o-ring out and then they just slid out. Sam 75 280z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NOT A GOOD IDEA - there may be some pressure in the strut cartriges. There are warning stampings and/or stickers that say "DO NOT HEAT" or "KEEP AWAY FROM HEAT SOURCES".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.