ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car hesitates when starting on first gear, and when the RPM's is between 3000-5000. Sometimes I can't even hit 5000RPM! I know my carbs are running rich but could it also be that I have no throttle opener solenoid? The part that let's out unburned gas when moving under 10MPH? I've been running w/o one for over 4 months now. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
> My car hesitates when starting on first
> gear, and when the RPM's is between
> 3000-5000. Sometimes I can't even hit
> 5000RPM! I know my carbs are running rich
> but could it also be that I have no throttle
> opener solenoid? The part that let's out
> unburned gas when moving under 10MPH? I've
> been running w/o one for over 4 months now.
> Thanks.

I don't know if it's the starter opener solenoid, but you say you've been without one for 4 months now. Did this problem arise around the same time? But if the starter opener solenoid is responsible for letting out unburned gas under 10MPH, it doesn't explain why your engine won't rev higher than 5000rpm.

Rich running carbs or unsynchronized carbs are evil, fix them first!!

I had a similar problem in my 260, and here's what I did.
If the carbs are running rich it causes premature fouling of the plugs, which if left untouched will cause the problems you're having. Check your plugs and see if they look black & sooty. Easy to do and if they are dirty, clean them with carburator fluid and try that.

You could also try a installing an electronic ignition that uses a high voltage coil. This got rid of the low end hesitation on my 260.

Split-fire spark plugs might help too, but if you're carbs are running rich than your wasting your money, they'll get ruined.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My carbs were always running rich, but when the solenoid wire burnt out my car started shooting out black smoke. Like when I warm up my car in the morning anything behind it turns black. Or when I drop the hammer( throw it into third gear) on someone who's tailgating me all I see is black smoke spinning out like a tornado, then they disappear like magic.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I had a '73 240Z about 19yrs. ago that ran like crap after it warmed up, especially in hotter weather. I later read in Road & Track there was a recall on the carbs. that year. Maybe you're trying to fix a design flaw?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.