ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I turn on the parking lights, the fuse blows. I disconnected all the parking lights, and it still does it, so I'm assuming there is a short somewhere in the wiring. Any suggestions on where/how to start?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I experienced this exact problem on a '77 280Z. It turned out that under the center console of the '77, there was a ground wire w/a bullet connector on it. This ground had been plugged into a female bullet connector that fed the ashtray light. Hence, the whole parking light system had grounded!!! I'm not sure if a situation like this exists on your '73, but its worth looking for. Also check for bare wires that may be grounding on the body. Places for this may be where the wiring loom passes through the firewall, and along the passenger's side rocker panel, etc. If that doesn't do it, start at the switch and work your way through the system from there. Good luck...

Ian

> Whenever I turn on the parking lights, the
> fuse blows. I disconnected all the parking
> lights, and it still does it, so I'm
> assuming there is a short somewhere in the
> wiring. Any suggestions on where/how to
> start?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I'm having a similar problem, but the fuse is heating up and melting the box instead of blowing. It started this past weekend when I replaced my alternator.

My Z club president said it is common to get a short in the tail/brake light assembly on the early Z's, the plastic melts back there and causes a short in the housing. I haven't checked mine out yet, since its not my daily car and I haven't had time to pull the back apart, but that is probably a good place to start.

Good luck,
Mike
> Whenever I turn on the parking lights, the
> fuse blows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.