ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been bored this winter break, decided to do the electric ignition swap finally, as well as taking apart what seems like half my engine to clean things up, do some porting here and there, ya know... So, part of the electronic ignition swap requires swapping in a 280z tach. I've never taken the dash out of my car, are there any FAQ's for it or a good site that will tell me where to start and all that? Is it a real pain or pretty simple?

thanks

Alex

· Registered
1,298 Posts
I've got a 71 240 with the distributor from a 79 and I'm still using the original 240 tach.

It isn't impossible, but you can wire it in to work.

Others advise changing the tach because of the way the 240 tach works.

To change the tach, if you don't have to get in there and do a bunch of rewiring, and don't know why you would have to, all you have to do is the following:

Reach behind the tach from underneath the driver's side of the dash. It is tricky, but worm your hand in there and find two butterfly nuts holding the tach in place. Remove and you can then slide the tach out via the front of the dash. If your hand is Large or Extra Large then yes, removing the dash is your best option.

If that's the case, I remember posting about it about a month or so back. Otherwise, e-mail me and I'll give you a run down. I'm sure others will post also though.

· Registered
492 Posts
...i just replaced the dash on my '82zxt..to put a dash cover on it and redo the gauges.....(dash cover is great)...
....i'm not sure about your 73....but on mine ....you dont have to take the whole dash off to take out the speedo/tach cluster....(but it may be easier)....
......i would definitely get some gray(or white) electrical tape to label all the wires etc.....i got a pack of different colored rolls...and just put a piece (of one color) on each wire of a connector....made it go real quick when i put it back in....(and will help "the next time" too)....
....if i can find it ...i can send you an article on how to remove the dash from a 79-83....it might help (but i doubt if it'll be "exactly"right)..
if you want it.......s

· Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

I didnt know you can just slide the tach out the front, thats great news. I'm a skinny guy so getting my hands in there should be no prob. thanks for the tip

· Registered
21 Posts
hey schmaydee...

...I've heard more guys struggle with dash covers than not, but it sounds like you had good luck with yours- did you get your dash cover from MSA or from another source? (I'm on the verge of ordering one for my 77)

_c

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.