ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 73 240z and have recently put in a stereo. After i got it all in i found out that the heater blower motor wont come on. I did clean up some of the wiring in there when putting in the stereo but dont think i disconnected anything. I was wondering if anyone new what wires to check? I think once before the ground wire came off the motor a mechanic told me but i dont know which wire that is? Anyone got a clue? anything else i could check? It really suck driving in the winter withourt a window defroster. Also i noticed that my rear defroster still works but takes forever to defrost the window. Is there a way to put a little more juice in it to defrost the windows quicker? Any ideas on that? Let me know if anyone has run into these types of problems. Thanks a bunch.... I sure love my Z and once before with a previous car without the defroster i hit a parked car cause i couldnt see. I sure dont want that to happen again... Suntadz

· Registered
1,298 Posts
You more than likely tapped into the fuse line that feeds the motor, or by relocating / removing the ground for the motor disconnected the circuit.

There are two blue wires with inline fuse holders. One of these goes to the heater motor. Check the fuse on both lines to make sure. You might also check that you seated the connector for the heater control knob fully with the connector for the heater box.

Regarding your rear window defrost, is this the same rate that it's always been at, or did it recently get slower?

If the same rate, check the connections at the top of the window, get rid of any surface oxidation on the connector, and if possible do the same to the female connector. This should help it a bit. If it recently got slower, per chance right after you installed the stereo? If that's the case it is possible you tapped into part of it's circuitry and are shunting part of it's current.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info.i was wondering what those 2 fuse holders were for. I tapped my power from the cig. lighter so i dont think it was the case for the rear def. but i will clean the contacts. I was wodering if there was like a relay or voltage regulator type thing that i could get more power from..... It has always been this way...... The guy before me had the stereo wired into one of the fuse holders there though. Did a real crappy splice with electrical tape... I soldered the wires back but still was wondering if those fuses were from his stuff. I left them there but mabey i blew one of the fuses or possibly forgot to put the fuse back in after the solder work.anyway it gives me plenty to go on for tomarrow.....any other hints would be helpful...
thanks, SunTadZ

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Rear defrosters were never REALLY fast, but were adequate. If you have several elements that are not working that MIGHT change the draw. You should be able to see which elements are not working then fix them with a repair kit. I believe the kits are available through Eastwood.

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Re: Wiring Connections

I just recently finished re-scanning the Clymer's manual I have that has the FSM pictures of the Multiple and Single Electrical Connectors for the Early 240Z.

I've already compressed them into a WinZip archive for ease of e-mailing. However, it is a rather sizeable file and can only be e-mailed to e-mail boxes at ISP's with no size restrictions. Hotmail I know has a size restriction, I'm not sure of other ones such as Juno or Yahoo.

I also have the Wiring Schematic from the same Clymer Manual. If you're interested send me an e-mail at:
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.