ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a '72 240 Z, and while attempting to get it licensed, I had to run it through an emissions test. The car passed on two of the tests, but failed on carbon monoxide emissions. The car was refurbished before I purchased it, and has a newer model L-28 engine instead of the stock engine.

My question is, does anyone with a late-model Z have any experience with emission problems, and if so, what may be some of the potential problems I maybe facing with the repairs and in what range may I be looking at to get the vehicle up to speed on emissions?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Rob

·
Registered
94 Posts
First do you have the stock 72 carbs on this car and does it have ALL of the emissions control eqipment on it? If it has these, but has a L28 then the system may not be able to work the way it should to control the emissions. Have a Z place tune the carbs to the piont that it will pass then have the carbs tuned after the test back to the way they should be. Also check the air pump if you have one to make sure it is working.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> First do you have the stock 72 carbs on this
> car and does it have ALL of the emissions
> control eqipment on it? If it has these, but
> has a L28 then the system may not be able to
> work the way it should to control the
> emissions. Have a Z place tune the carbs to
> the piont that it will pass then have the
> carbs tuned after the test back to the way
> they should be. Also check the air pump if
> you have one to make sure it is working.

I'm not sure of the answers to these questions, but am going to take your concerns with me to the shop next Wednesday when I get myc ar checked out. One thing you brought up was tuning the carbs, which has been an issue with my cold start problem and the possiblity the carbs are out of sync. Hopefully I can get everything handled all at once. Thanks for your advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.