ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 72 Z that has an automatic. I want to change over to a manual but don't want the 4 speed. Does a 5 speed out of a 260 bolt up to the block with no trouble. I know I need clutch, flywheel, pedal and master and slave cylinder. Those seem easy. The mating of case to block is what I'm converned about. David

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I once tried to swap an auto and a 4speed when I owned two Z's. I'm sure there is some way around it that someone else here could tell us, but the two crankshaft ends were different! As I recall (about 8 years ago) the automatic one had a ring protruding from it that prevented bolting the flywheel to it.
We couldn't fugre out how to remove it, does anyone else know how?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> I just bought a 72 Z that has an automatic.
> I want to change over to a manual but don't
> want the 4 speed. Does a 5 speed out of a
> 260 bolt up to the block with no trouble. I
> know I need clutch, flywheel, pedal and
> master and slave cylinder. Those seem easy.
> The mating of case to block is what I'm
> converned about. David

5 speed out of a 260? If it's a north American 260 with a 5-speed, someone has replaced the original tranmission. They came only with a 3-speed automatic or 4-speed manual. So the answer to your question is: yes. Any manual transmission from an L-series Z-car (70-83) will bolt to any L-series engine. And as the other person mentioned, you have to remove the adapter from the end of the crank before installing a flywheel (I did the auto-to-5speed conversion on my '72 and had no trouble removing it).

·
Registered
251 Posts
You can pry that cap off the end of the crank with a screwdriver or seal puller, etc..... I used a 79 280zx 5 sp 77 280z flywheel and a centerforce dual friction clutch, it works great you will have a lot more fun with your car when you're done.

Adam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.