ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to 240Z's and have a 1972 with a fake wood steering wheel, which I am told is the original wheel.
I want to make it look like new and can easily redo the black spokes but am not sure how to continue with the "wood" rim as I do not want to damage the steering wheel.
I think the wheel is GREAT and therefore don't want to put on a replacement.
Any suggestions or repair/restoration solutions will be most appreciated.
Best regards,
David.

·
Registered
949 Posts
David, I just restored an old '72 wheel and sold it on e-bay for over a hundred bucks. It is so easy- disassemble the wheel then strip the old black paint off... careful that you don't get any of the paint remover on the "wood".
Sand the spokes with a little 360 or 400 grit....
Then start on the wood. What I did was wet sanded it with 600 grit, then 1000 grit, then 1500 grit.
Then spray on some polyurethane..... and let it sit for about a week. The harder it gets, the better. Maybe you don't have to let it sit that long, but that's what I did.
Then I wet sanded again with 1000 grit.... 1500 grit.... then coated it again with the poly.
After the rim dried I coated the spokes with some good old Rustoleum satin black....
let it cure then I wet sanded the rim again.. it looks dull, but then I took some McGuires #7 polish to the rim.... it shined up like you would not beleive. I spen a couple of weeks on it, and I think it turned out real good. I honestly think the rim looked better than new.
KS

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help - it sounds fairly easy!

Two questions:

1) Do I need a special tool/puller to get the steering wheel off?
2) Should the black paint be "flat" or "glossy".

Thanks again,
David.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hehe, ok here goes.

1) No.

2) Neither.

Ok, here are better answers.

1) After removing the horn pad and the 22mm nut holding the wheel in place, you should be able to give it a good tug and it should come off. Rarely have I needed to give it a smack to get it out. Once you have it out, be careful of the brass contact for the horn as this could get bent and either short or become unuseable. I would recommend you disconnect the battery only to make sure you don't honk like crazy should you make contact.

2) Most of the "flat" black inside the 240 and 260's was actually a kind of SATIN finish. i.e. Not Flat and yet Not Shiny. I found that if you use Rust-Oleum's Satin Black it is the closest match to the instruments and other surfaces. But then again, it's your car.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Before you attempt to pull, or yank the wheel off, make sure you leave the nut on a few threads. Seriously, that will keep it from flying off and hitting you in the nose....
just pop it loose, then remove the nut the rest of the way....
KS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.