ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear struts gland nuts, the tops of which are welded to the body of the nuts broke the welds and were floating on top of the cartridge and jingling around. I'm trying to replace the orig cartridges with kyb replacements and cant get the remainder of the gland nuts out, which release the
cartridge. There is nothing to grab hold of as the nut has a smooth top and is flush with the strut shell. I drilled couple of holes in it and screwed in selftapping screws but cant budge it. Anyone out there have the same pblm? Would like to hear your resolution. Tnx

Ray H.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Had the same problem with mine a few years back. The tops of the nuts torques right off when you try to turn them. Rust is a bitch!! Anyways, what we did (my father and I) was use a chisel to cut a gash in the top of the nut. Soak the **** out of it with Liquid Wrench, and used a big piece of metal as a banging tool to pound on the chisel. It took a long time but we managed to get them off. Nearly lost a couple of knuckles in the process. I just hope that once you get the nut off you don't find that the whole cartridge is rusted in like I did. But then again, what's another headache when you're already in pain.

Chris

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>Chris - Thanks for your response. I did a simililar operation, drilled two holes in the remains of the gland nut and also in the top cap and reattached it with two sheet metal screws. I was able to remove it that way. Punctured the gas shock with the drill but gonna replace it anyway.
Have one more to do same way; hope it goes as well.... Thanks again.

Ray H.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.