ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need suggestions to remedy fumes entering passenger compartment. Also raw gas fumes after fueling tank.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Need suggestions to remedy fumes entering
> passenger compartment. Also raw gas fumes
> after fueling tank.

I assume you mean exhast fumes for the first part, am I correct? If so, it could be any number of seals around the back of the car that have gone bad. The main seal on the car along the inside of the hatch was the culprit for me.

As for the gas fumes after filling, it sounds like you have a leak somewhere around the filler hose. This is a pretty common problem.. I didn't get fumes inside the car, instead I got a steady leak every time I filled up the gas.. not good. Check for cracks in the filler hose where it connects to the tank, and also pull off the interior panel where the gas door is. You might have a crack somewhere towards the top of the hose and gas is actually leaking inside the car!

I've heard people say they had good luck with used filler hoses, but I broke down and went with a $80 one from Motorsports. I didn't want to have the same problem again a couple of years down the road.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Ahhh... Tank hoses

I have experienced this many a time. There is a series of vent hoses that come off the top of the gas tank and vent into a canister (if you will) in the passenger side rear quarter on the inside of the car behind the interior panels. One of those hoses (and, unfortunately - the most expensive of the lot) goes through the rear deck of the car to the fuel tank. Over the years of bumping and wear (dry rot too!) the metal of the hole in the rear deck will rub a hole in the hose. Tank hoses are not fun, but, fortunately you will probably only have to do them once on the car. Replace ALL the hoses, as you do not want to drop the tank a second time to replace another faulty one. Use new hose clamps too. As for the exhaust fumes (if there are any) the hatch seal is the culprit, unless you have an exhaust leak somewhere else. I don't know if you will be able to get all the tank hoses from the dealer, but I believe Motorsport auto has them in stock. Hope this helps!

Tim

> after fueling tank.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: Ahhh... Tank hoses

> I don't know if you will be
> able to get all the tank hoses from the
> dealer, but I believe Motorsport auto has
> them in stock. Hope this helps!

My dealer didn't have the filler hose, but Motorsports does (for $80!!)

Besides that, and the little piece of 3/4 diameter hose towards the top, everything else can be bought by the foot at an auto parts store. Just make sure it's FUEL hose, not radiator hose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
> after fueling tank.

Same thing happened to me. You can get that hose - your dealear will have to order it for you. The part number is 17243-E4100. It cost me $19.48. It is the short, top one to the filler. Mine was leaking to the ground when filled up to the rim.

·
Registered
399 Posts
> after fueling tank.
Obviously, everyone's advice to ckeck rear hatch weatherstripping, seal all holes, etc. is correct, BUUUT, no matter what you do, the aeordynamics of the Z creates a problem. I found the best thing to do was to buy a $4 Chrome exhaust tip from Pep Boys. The one I got extend the exhaust about 6 or 8 inches, plus direct the flow downward. It made a big difference on my car, which was getting fumes despite no real leaks or problem areas.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> after fueling tank.

A less heard of problem I had with my Z and gas fumes was the valve at the front of the car where the tank is supposed to vent to the intake was sticking so the tank would build up pressure inside and push gas out of wherever it could.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.