Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I just restored my 72 Z which I am the original owner. The engine was rebuilt but the mechanic says he is having trouble with the carbs and cant get the car to run right, the carbs have not been recently rebuilt(>10yrs.) He suggested that I put Weber carbs on the car. I wonder if its a good idea or if I should just have the original ones rebuilt. Also where is the best placce to get either the Webers or parts to rebuild my originals.
thanks for any help

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: 72 240Z carbs</b>

If the car is still stock I would stay away from Webers you will not benefit enough to justify the cost. Webers and Mikunis alike are for all out street machines. They can be very streetable but the whole premise for the multiple carbs is performance and tunability.
I suggest a Rebuild kit or if you are resourceful you can probably find a used set for about $100.00 and the install is pretty straight forward.

If you do plan performance may I suggest Webers all the way

ZR8ED (BAD ASS WEBERIZED 78 280Z)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charlie,

I had a problem in the winter time starting my 73/240Z. I went w/ the Webers (down draft), and love them.

Good Luck, Darryle Mann

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw some performance curves somewhere ( zhome.com maybe?) and the Webers and Mikuni's both had better performance at the top and but somewhat lower performance at the low end. So, properly tuned SU's are probably a little better for daily driving, or you can get better racing and lower maintenance with the others.

SU's require more maintenance, but they last forever. www.ztherapy.com has good info, see if you have SU's on your car now. If you do, they have everything you need to rebuild. Their video is very helpful, and if your throttle shaft is worn they can fix that and give you the rest of the parts you need for a rebuild.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charlie-
I have a 74 with 72 carbs. I made I a big mistake by putting on the dual webers a couple of months ago. I didn't do a good job of researching the subject and now I am regetting it. They have poor low end power and do not get any better gas mileage, in addition, they don't start or warm up any easier in cold weather than the SUs did. Cold weather starting was the only problem I had with the SUs in the first place. I just moved to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area from a smaller town and am only starting to realize how much the person that worked on my car previously did not know how to work on the SUs. I took the carbs to Steve at Rising Sun (recommended from the zcar page) and he pointed out all sorts of things that were out of adjustment. Even at that,the car still ran MUCH better with the SUs than it does now. I cant wait to get the carbs back on the car and see how it runs then. For whatever it may be worth, in talking with Steve he said that anyone familiar with z-cars knows that you do not put the dual webers on, upgrades go in order from the SUs to triple sidedrafts and then fuel injection. By the way, I think Darryle mentioned that his car is a 73, which I believe had the flatops. If this is true then he is comparing the webers to a much worse carb than what you have on your car. Just a thought.
good luck-Adam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.