ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 240Z with an Auto Trans and a 76 280Z with a 5 Speed. The 240Z is not running now b/c of the carbs, but there is virtually no rust. The 280Z has tons of rust, but a really strong engine and trans. Could I make the 240Z a faster, stonger car by changing the transmissions? Or, is the auto good enough. Like I said, I have never driven it?

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you like the performance a nicely set-up Z can give you, like most of us here, you will be better going with the 5-speed, and while you are at it, put the 280Z engine in also. Use the fuel injection with the engine, it will work just fine and besides your 240 carbs need work you said. The setup with a light 240Z and the engine of a 280Z is a very fine start to having a great preforming Z car. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
yeah, and while your at it, do the V8 swap and throw a blower and nitrous on there. and yes, i do want fries with that. i like pork.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Why not get your Z running...drive it for a while & see if you really want to modify it
...but like Bug says: a V-8 can really kick butt...nitrous or not...

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
Tomato, Tomato

You want torque and holeshot launches, or a sportscar feel? That's the difference between the L24 and the L28. The 24 will rev forever and make it's power on the top end. The 28 grunts, but runs out of breath around 5500.
The five-speed will under-rev the L24 in fifth with the stock dirve ratio. But you can eke out close to 29mpg with that setup. Similarly, you could swap the 4-sp maxima O.D. tranny into it and still retain auto drive.
Whatever floats your boat. The two engines result in very different driving styles in the same car. I'd say I agree withthe above, and get it running and see how you like it before swapping things around.
SU's need to be REALLLY fubar before you can't even drive the car. You may think about giving them a thorough cleaning and regasketting before spending a lot of money for the full-on rebuild. They will run decently enough to get an idea how you like the car. Swapping int the drivetrain from the 280 may be nice, but the tranny and diff from a ZX will have less miles, and a better ratio in the diff for the early engine (3.9) Personally, I love my car with an L24, 82 five speed, and 4.37 rearend! An early five speed only needs a 4.11 but the 3.9 works also in that application. Small engines need to buzz up to cruise. They lasted 200,000+ miles on a regular basis turning 3000/4000 rpms on hte highway, no reason to reinvent the wheel if you don't need to.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My "73 came with an automatic. I rebuilt the carbs, set them up perfectly with the help of a neighbor who was a mechanic on a 240Z racing team in the 70's. I adjusted for timing chain stretch, played with the timing, replaced the distributor, etc. After the car was in the best tune it could be in, I did some 0-60 runs and found times in the 12 second range. The automatic sucks! Thats when I decided to put a turbo and 5-speed in it. Totally different car now with 1/4 mile times of 14 seconds @ 105 MPH. Moral of the story; lose the automatic.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Its all in what you want the car for , if you drive in city traffic , the auto is real nice and for street use performs fine. If what you are looking for is a mountain , twistys go fast then do the 5 speed . Personally I think the advise from z-fan is right on. You have to make the decision for your self , get it running and drive the car for a while , then if you want you can always make the change. My 240 has an auto and when I bought it the first thing I wanted to do is the 5 speed swap, but now after driving in ALL types of conditions and kinds of roads I am staying with the auto with out a doubt . I dont race the car , vary much, and totaly enjoy the drive. Good luck Gary Portland Ore.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the thoughts and advise. I took my 240 to a Tech who works on these exclusively, and he concurred with driving it and see how I like the auto. But, he claimed that he could change the cams and make it quicker off the line. $$ I think that this is a great car. The carbs are being rebuilt as we speak.

Take care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.