ZCar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 48 year old clutch slave cylinder finally gave out. I bought a new one and when I went to install it I found that the threads for the hydraulic line were threaded in such a way that when it is tightened the cylinder is pointing 180 degrees out of line, the plunger is facing forward. If I try to tighten it or turn the cylinder to face to the rear, the rubber hose twists. Do I have the wrong part? Would a washer solve this?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
How about some photos to explain what is going on?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Isn't there a copper "crush" washer (supposed to be) under the hose fitting? Get a different washer at a parts store or smooth file that one a bit thinner until the hose "lines up".

·
Registered
110 Posts
The other end of the rubber line connects to a flare fitting on the firewall. IF(big if for a 47 year old car) if you can loosen the flare fitting, pull the clip from the mounting bracket and this will allow you to "index" the rubber hose as needed..

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a knucklehead. As I went to take some photos it dawned on me that there was a flare nut on the other end of the hose. Duh. Yes there is a copper washer on the cylinder end of the hose. A 10mm flare nut wrench and some WD40 to free it up a bit got it off. Re-index after the hose was tightened on the cylinder got everything back together. A hand vacuum pump to bleed the line and fresh fluid and she's ready to go. I've owned it since 1974 so I should have it down by now.

·
Registered
907 Posts
When I lived in central Texas, I replaced two clutch slave cylinders in 5 years. The brake fluid used in the slave cylinder drew moisture and corroded the slave cylinder so it stuck open when the clutch was depressed. The humidity in that area is terrible.

When I installed the third slave cylinder, I ran alcohol through the clutch circuit before I connected the cylinder, then installed the cylinder and used DOT5 silicone brake fluid to fill.

Why? Two reasons. First, unlike other types of brake fluid, DOT5 doesn't draw moisture. Second, it has a lower boiling point than DOT4, but that's not an issue with the clutch, because it doesn't heat up like brakes.

22 years after I moved to Colorado that slave cylinder works fine and has never failed. I recommend this fluid change to all Z owners.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've not thought of that before. This car has been in New Mexico and Colorado most of its life, although some time in Ohio. This cylinder was very rusted now though. I routinely flush the brake fluid, using a vacuum pump to speed the process. DOT 5 in the clutch makes sense though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts