ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again, folks. Let me first thank everyone who replied to my post about my heater problems earlier this week. I'm using the info escanlon kindly provided to tackle the heater today.

But first, I'm doing a valve adjustment. It's my first on this car. I'm looking underneath the valve cover, and I'm seeing a rod running lengthwise along the motor (parallel to the camshaft, anchored to the supports for the camshaft). The side closest to the cabin is "wiggly", meaning it's affixed but I can feel the thing flexing around when I push on it. The side closest to the radiator is also notably "wiggly". I doubt very highly that either are supposed to be. The middle is not "wiggly" and it feels like metal.

My questions: what does this part do (as I can't seem to figure it out), and should it "wiggle"? I'll continue adjusting my valves, and if the verdict is no, I'll get a junkyard piece...

Thanks,

Jeremy

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Re: '71 "wiggly" part under valve cover.

Jeremy,

That is your cam oiler. Very important part. Oil squirts out of that tube via small holes onto your cam lobes. The ends should not be wiggly. You can try to find a j/y piece but it will probably be the same. I would get a new one if you can afford it. It may cost less than you think. If it is $$$, try taking yours to a welder and have him solder/weld/braze the ends on. Also make sure the holes are not clogged by squirting liquid wrench or something through it.

· Registered
645 Posts
In addition to 71240L28's comments

...pull your valve cover off with the engine warmed up and check to see if your cam has oil on all lobes. My cam oiler is slightly wiggly on the piston 5-6 portion but still works well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.