ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '71 Z to go along with my '73...

I have 2 Questions:

1) The compression is between 145 and 160. My Chiltons says that it should be between 171 and 185. I live at 4000 ft elevation. Is the measured compression OK?

2) All guages (tach, fuel, temp, oil) are not working. I checked the fuses. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
863 Posts
I would have to say the compression is alright. At 4000 ft it should be a little lower than what is in the book. The important thing is to have all cylinders within 10%. slightly more isn't the end of the world.

> I just bought a '71 Z to go along with my
> '73...
> I have 2 Questions:
> 1) The compression is between 145 and 160.
> My Chiltons says that it should be between
> 171 and 185. I live at 4000 ft elevation. Is
> the measured compression OK?
> 2) All guages (tach, fuel, temp, oil) are
> not working. I checked the fuses. Any
> suggestions?
> Thanks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> 2) All guages (tach, fuel, temp, oil) are
> not working. I checked the fuses. Any
> suggestions?

First thing, check to see if gauges will work if grounded. Check Chiltons for technique, but basically if the sensor wire to the temp sensor is grounded to a solid ground with ignition on the gauge should peg to Hot.....same for oil gauge.

I had a similar problem with mine and finally disassembled the gauges. There is a set of points in them that was corroded. Cleaned them off and the gauges worked fine. Be very careful, the wires internal to the gauge are extremely fragile........very delicate hand required. Also breaking open the gauge after 28 years may lead to the paint internal (not gauge face, but the face plate)peeling off.....mine did. Painted them and the gauges looked absolutely mint.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.