ZCar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I just purchased an all original 71 240Z and I need some help or guidance to solve this problem. When I first got the car when I would put the signal lever to flash right it would stay solid on the dash like the bulb was burnt out. But check that and it wasn't that (Switched the bulb to the left side and it worked fine). Then I replaced the relay under the driver side dash which allowed the light on the dash to flash but no luck on the rear turn signal light. So then I was tested each light with a bulb socket tester which would show that the light should turn on if only one bulb was in the rear light harness. So I switch the harness from the left to the right because the left has no issues and still no luck there but the original one that wasn't working on the right worked on the left side. I then added a ground wire to the right thinking it might have been a grounding issue but no luck there either. It seems like it isn't sending enough voltage to allow the lights to flash. Could this be the turn signal lever that needs to be replaced?

The weird part is that the hazard lights work perfectly and they are the same bulbs.

Any ideas or fixes will greatly be appreciated.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
There is extra resistance in that part of the turn signal circuit, probably within the switch itself. The extra resistance is not so much that it prevents the bulb from lighting up some, but it's enough resistance to reduce the current to such a point where the bi-metal strip in the flasher unit cannot heat up enough to break the circuit. You could try using an electronic flasher such as this: Amazon.com: Audew 2-Pin Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay Fix Motorcycle Turn Signal Hyper Flash: Industrial & Scientific

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is extra resistance in that part of the turn signal circuit, probably within the switch itself. The extra resistance is not so much that it prevents the bulb from lighting up some, but it's enough resistance to reduce the current to such a point where the bi-metal strip in the flasher unit cannot heat up enough to break the circuit. You could try using an electronic flasher such as this: Amazon.com: Audew 2-Pin Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay Fix Motorcycle Turn Signal Hyper Flash: Industrial & Scientific
So since the small LED is flashing on the dash than with this electronic relay I can make it flash faster. This mean it will send the voltage and current in faster pulses which should break the bi-metal strip?
If I have this correct I will try this method.
Thank you!

· Registered
2,841 Posts
The electronic flasher does not have the same limitations as the old bi-metal type. It is a cheap solution. Your turn signal switch probably needs to be opened up and cleaned.

· Registered
1973 Datsun 240Z
5 Posts
Okay so I just purchased an all original 71 240Z and I need some help or guidance to solve this problem. When I first got the car when I would put the signal lever to flash right it would stay solid on the dash like the bulb was burnt out. But check that and it wasn't that (Switched the bulb to the left side and it worked fine). Then I replaced the relay under the driver side dash which allowed the light on the dash to flash but no luck on the rear turn signal light. So then I was tested each light with a bulb socket tester which would show that the light should turn on if only one bulb was in the rear light harness. So I switch the harness from the left to the right because the left has no issues and still no luck there but the original one that wasn't working on the right worked on the left side. I then added a ground wire to the right thinking it might have been a grounding issue but no luck there either. It seems like it isn't sending enough voltage to allow the lights to flash. Could this be the turn signal lever that needs to be replaced?

The weird part is that the hazard lights work perfectly and they are the same bulbs.

Any ideas or fixes will greatly be appreciated

Any ideas or fixes will greatly be appreciated.
Hi Jflick,
I had problems with my turn signal and found this fix which took care my issues. take a look
My 240z Turn Signal Switch Fix - Electrical - The Classic Zcar Club

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.