ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to re-seal the fuel tank in my Z. How hard is this and is there anything I should watch out for? I'm about finished with the part's swap from one Z to the other (1st one was wrecked by a drunken neighbor).

Any tips or help is appreciated.

THanks,
Sam

· Registered
1,298 Posts
I'm in the middle of doing this myself, but due to a family member being in the hospital right now, having to put it on hold.

I spoke with several people at various places recommended by my mechanic. You CAN have it done commercially. Expect to pay from 100 to 400 dollars and in some cases add shipping.

OR

You can contact the POR-15 folks, and get one of their Fuel Tank Saver Kits. This includes the Cleaner to get rid of the Varnish and other stuff, the Metal Prep to etch the metal and the Sealer.

Don't expect this to be a one day job though. Just from reading the instructions you are looking at least a full day just with the cleaner, then another half day with the etcher and then, depending on your weather / temperature another 3-4 days for the sealer to work.

Cost? Try $50 + shipping.

I'm sure that you can find a name of a POR dealer near you, if not my contact for it is:

Custom Product Sales
3115 Crocker Road
Eugene, OR 97404
(541) 345-8092

Chuck is the guy's name, but don't know his last name.

· Registered
717 Posts
It cost me $80.00 to have my tank cleaned and sealed by a radiator shop that also specialized in fuel tanks. Be careful of just any radiator shop, as the tank has to be opened up and then brazed shut to properly clean and seal it. Also a shop that does fuel tanks knows to blow compressed air through the fuel fittings when the sealent is applied, to keep the fittings from clogging. After I got my tank back from the shop, I coated the exterior with liquid truck bed sealer, and it looks real great. Have had no problems with the tank after reinstalling it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.