ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new alt from Pep Boys and when the guy looked up the correct alt he said it was the 70 amp alt however, he then said that they nolonger stock that altenator. Nobody stocks that alt any more. The one problem I cant solve is that my lights dim at idle. Will the 70 amp alt correct this? I have a 60 in there now. Does anyone know anything about this?

Craig
76 280Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I've got an 83 zx-in the last 10 months I've gone through 2 alternators- due to my stereo amplifiers & fogs, so I was told. I had another alternator from auto zone to install when I decided to do some looking around. I went to a place that specializes inauto electric-alt's & starters, etc. They sold me an alternator that goes in the new GM's-suburbans & such-95 amps. I had to take off my mounting bracket, cut it in half, drill, & tap to make it work, but it went smooth as a baby's butt & has worked very well.
good luck
Doug

> I got a new alt from Pep Boys and when the
> guy looked up the correct alt he said it was
> the 70 amp alt however, he then said that
> they nolonger stock that altenator. Nobody
> stocks that alt any more. The one problem I
> cant solve is that my lights dim at idle.
> Will the 70 amp alt correct this? I have a
> 60 in there now. Does anyone know anything
> about this?

> Craig
> 76 280Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I believe if you switch to a smaller alternator pulley, the lights will not dim, at least not as much. I've never tried this though. It would also make the alternator spin faster at higher rpms. My lights dim in my 280zx also, but I am using a Datsun 210 alternator(Got it for $10). Haven't had any problems, starts right up in below freezing weather. If the wire from the alternator to battery has a poor connection, it can shorten the life of the alternator, I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.