ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, come the end of october, i'll finally be in a position to get my dream car (flame away), and i was thinking.... i can get a great example, no rust, 351, leather, blah blah blah for $15-18,000. the problem is, would it lose value if i swapped the motor? or would it be alright if i kept the motor and tranny with the matching numbers, and re-installed them if i ever sold the car? would i get a better score at a car show with the original motor, or with say, a built 428cj? I dont want to spend upwards of $15,000 on a car, just to have it lose value if i make it faster.

(im keeping the zx as my daily driver)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It will "Most Likely" loose value at auction with non-matching numbers.

Build the 428, swap it in and keep the original 351 hermetically sealed and stored away in case you want to sell it again.

Have fun with a car that weighs a TON and can't turn... ;)

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Those cars always lose money if you change anything. They are worth the most if they are 100% original. It will go down a lot in value if you change the engine. If you keep the original engine and trans with it, it will not go down as much. The fact that you even put another engine in it at any time makes it worth less to most collectors.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Mustangs have nearly dropped off of my liked cars list. The only reason why the barely stay on is because some have "Shelby" on the side, and the 5.0 was real. They are just pretty scrap metal in my eyes.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
If it looks anything like the one in justinhenry's picture, you should be put in prison if you even DRIVE it, much less change anything. If it's not show-car quality (which it seems like it should be at $15K), or has ALREADY been modded away from stock (interior/drivetrain/etc.), go for the swap. But yeah, keep the original stuff if you ever sell it.

For that $$, why don't you just snag somebody's unfinished whatever project (like a fiberglass Deuce) and drop yer bad boy CJ in that?

·
Registered
189 Posts
my boss whos restoring my z with me has a 69 mach one that needs a total of 10 hours of work to get it 100% streetable but since the second my z's been sharing the garage with it he hasnt touched it, not only that he's put in hundreds of hours of rust work, wiring, shocks, brakes and the works on the z...i always ask why he doesnt finish his own car first but he never has a answer for me...you would wonder why a guy who has $12,000 in parts and hundreds of hours into the car would wanna finish it off..personally i think he just likes the z that much more lol

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I just got back from the vintage races at Mid-Ohio race car course where my car was in the Concourse D' Elegance, along with many other nice cars, and a couple of -F I N E- Boss 302 Mustangs. I commented to my son, that I would sell my Z in a heartbeat for the yellow 70 Boss.

"Have fun with a car that weighs a TON and can't turn... ;)"

It's funny that should say that because part of the weekend festivities at the vintage races included the 40th anniversary of the SCCA Trans Am series. There was one really hot, high winding 240Z, several Corvettes, a coupla Jags, alot of Camaros, and several Boss Mustangs that chewed the feild up and lapped the Z.....evidently they can turn also.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the input guys. If i could find one in my price range with the original CJ, we'd be in buisness, but they are nearly double the price of the standard Mach 1. I'm not worried so much about resale as i am about show judging, and even then, im worried more about what i want and like. So i'm thinking i may just say **** the critics and swap in my CJ, and leave the 351 sealed up just in case i ever decide to sell it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
there's a '69 fastback (not Mach 1) two houses down from me that I attempted to buy form the old lady who owns it. She's had it since it came off the assembly line and it only has 67,000 miles on the clock. I almost got her to sell it to me for $6k, but she said there was too much sentimental value. I would have pursued it more but I couldn't up the price because the Z was taking up all of my money.

and yeah, I think those cars are sexy

Post Edited (Aug 20, 10:38pm)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
no that's not the car, her's doesn't have the hood scoop, but it has the chin spoiler and it's pearl white, the paint and body is just about perfect though. As I said, my funds are very limited, I'm only 17 and the Z takes quite most of my money, but man would I love to have that car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.