ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I do to my stock 82 280zxna to get it to hit a little over 60 in 2nd gear? Thats about it maybe a stuiped question but I was wonderin what could give it this little boost in 2nd. Thanks.

Steven

· Registered
613 Posts
I can do 60 mph in second, about 5500 rpm, but i also run 245/60R14 tires in the rear. Its also a 81 and the 81-83 had a higher ratio gearing compared to the other transmissions. I think you should be able to pull it off too

-Emir

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Nope, Cliff!

Actually, putting in a 3.70 rear gear will allow him to reach 60 QUICKER, as he only has the 1-2 shift to contend with, and not the 1-2 AND 2-3.
Fastest way to 60 is in the shortest gear change scenario.
What you need with stock size tires, is an effective ratio of around 3.70.
Early cars have 3.70, later ones have 3.90, so you could either mess with tire height to get to the 3.70 or change the rearend to either the 3.545 or the 3.70.
I probably think the 3.545 may be better as sometimes it takes longer to rev the L28, than to just lug it a bit with a slightly taller gear.
I have 3.70's in two of my vehicles, and they both posess engines that rev willingly.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Automatic is different!

I think they were referring to manual gearboxes. I know I was.
Try your tranny with a 4.11 or 4.37 reaargear. My bud has an automatic in his Fairlady ZX and has a 4.37. Talk about JUMP from the light. Barely hits 60 at the top of second if he holds it in low before a governor-dictated upshift that would seem to squawk the tires if the rearend didn't sag so much on the shift!

Actually, he was on the smog dyno out in PHX, and the smog tech didn't strap it down. Hit the gas like he normally would and the thing jumped the rollers into the fan they put out in front of the dyno! Morons.
Talk about wanting a Maxima 4-speed automatic... That thing turned 4000+ RPM's all day driving out to L.A. a few years back. Overdrive would be helpful for gas mileage...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.