ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '76 280Z that I need to replace the complete exhaust system. While I'm at it I'd like to do headers. Motorsport offers two versions, the 6 into 2 and 6 into 1. I don't have an EGR system or Oxygen sensor so I don't need the threaded holes if they don't have them. Is there a preference for either one over the other?

They also offer a Turbo Exhaust System that's 2 1/2. I've heard that it is a loud system. How well does it actually fit and is it really that loud?

While I'm ordering lots of stuff, I was thinking of doing suspension as well. Does anyone has experience with the combination of Eibach springs and Tokico struts?

Please speak from your own experience and tell me what year and model, part numbers are also nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: "6 into 2" or "6 into 1" a

> I have a '76 280Z that I need to replace the
> complete exhaust system. While I'm at it I'd
> like to do headers. Motorsport offers two
> versions, the 6 into 2 and
> 6 into 1. I don't have an EGR
> system or Oxygen sensor so I don't need the
> threaded holes if they don't have them. Is
> there a preference for either one over the
> other?

> They also offer a Turbo Exhaust
> System that's 2 1/2. I've heard
> that it is a loud system. How well does it
> actually fit and is it really that loud?

> While I'm ordering lots of stuff, I was
> thinking of doing suspension as well. Does
> anyone has experience with the combination
> of Eibach springs and Tokico struts?

> Please speak from your own experience and
> tell me what year and model, part numbers
> are also nice.
I DID AFTERMARKET MONROE SHOCKS LAST YEAR RIGHT AFTER I BOUGHT THE CAR. THE RIDE IS GOOD WITH JUST A LITTLE SQUAT ON THE LAUNCH AND THROUGHTHE GEARS.
I LIKE THE 3 INTO 2 HEADER FROM MOTORSPORT AND WENT WIOTH THE TWICE PIPES FROM THE HEADER BACK. VERY CLEAN INSTALLATION BUT WITH A CRISP CRACK AT THE TAILPIPE. IT'S A GREAT SOUND. ALSO DID THE RUBBER TO URETHANE SUSPENSION PART REPLACEMENT WHEN I DID THE SHOCKS INCLUDING THE STIFFER STEERING COUPLER. ALL THIS COMBINED WITH THE SHORT THROW SHIFTER THAT I PUT IN THIS SUMMER AND THE CRANE XR3000 IGNITION I'M HAPPY WITH THE PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS SO FAR.
NOW WORKING ON AN N47 HEAD I TOOK OFF A CAR LAST MONTH. HAVE REMOVED THE EXHAUST PORT LINERS AND NOW WORKING ON PORTING POLISHING. AS MY FIN ANCES ALLOW I'LL BE FOLLOWING UP WITH A SUITABLE CAM COMBINATION.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Re: "6 into 2" or "6 into 1" a

> I have a '76 280Z that I need to replace the
> complete exhaust system. While I'm at it I'd
> like to do headers. Motorsport offers two
> versions, the 6 into 2 and
> 6 into 1. I don't have an EGR
> system or Oxygen sensor so I don't need the
> threaded holes if they don't have them. Is
> there a preference for either one over the
> other?

> They also offer a Turbo Exhaust
> System that's 2 1/2. I've heard
> that it is a loud system. How well does it
> actually fit and is it really that loud?

Does
> anyone has experience with the combination
> of Eibach springs and Tokico struts?

well, ive got a 71 240z, and im running 6 to 2 headers i picked up from victoria british (pace setter headers) unfortunately the shop i had put them in had to cut them a lil to make them fit. the exhaust is monza also and its loud! kinda puts those honda guys to shame =) for the suspension im using eibach pro line springs, those are the only series eibach makes for z's (not counting zx's) and im using KYB struts. i was about to go with tokico but i got a bad review about the combination from my friends.(unless you go with the 5 way adjustables). you should also consider front and back strut tower bars, motor sport has a good price on these and dont forget the sway bars, also go with motorsport although suspension technics is also a good brand... if you want a full engine strut brace and a double enforced rear brace... there is a shop called top end performance that specializes in z down in southern cal.... <A HREF=http://www.racetep.com>http://www.racetep.com</A>... my z handles like its on rails around them corners... just dont forget that the tires contribute strongly to handling too. =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: "6 into 2" or "6 into 1" a

> Does

> well, ive got a 71 240z, and im running 6 to
> 2 headers i picked up from victoria british
> (pace setter headers) unfortunately the shop
> i had put them in had to cut them a lil to
> make them fit. the exhaust is monza also and
> its loud! kinda puts those honda guys to
> shame =) for the suspension im using eibach
> pro line springs, those are the only series
> eibach makes for z's (not counting zx's) and
> im using KYB struts. i was about to go with
> tokico but i got a bad review about the
> combination from my friends.(unless you go
> with the 5 way adjustables). you should also
> consider front and back strut tower bars,
> motor sport has a good price on these and
> dont forget the sway bars, also go with
> motorsport although suspension technics is
> also a good brand... if you want a full
> engine strut brace and a double enforced
> rear brace... there is a shop called top end
> performance that specializes in z down in
> southern cal.... <A HREF=http://www.racetep.com>http://www.racetep.com</A> ...
> my z handles like its on rails around them
> corners... just dont forget that the tires
> contribute strongly to handling too. =)
Read my post on suspension advice. The only complaint that i have about the set up is that the tokico struts have a bit of a harsh ride. If i can find some $$ i will switch them out for KYB struts.
Let us know how the exhaust works out. that is my next big project
Web 83 zx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
Re: "6 into 2" or "6 into 1" a

> I have a '76 280Z that I need to replace the
> complete exhaust system. While I'm at it I'd
> like to do headers. Motorsport offers two
> versions, the 6 into 2 and
> 6 into 1. I don't have an EGR
> system or Oxygen sensor so I don't need the
> threaded holes if they don't have them. Is
> there a preference for either one over the
> other?

> They also offer a Turbo Exhaust
> System that's 2 1/2. I've heard
> that it is a loud system. How well does it
> actually fit and is it really that loud?
I got the Motorsport 6 into 2 into 1 header with twice pipes if you want them $100 plus shipping takes all. The header is a square port design (for a 240Z without smog), but if you have a N42 head and no EGR or Oxygen sensors this should work. The twice pipes originally come to be horizontally (there welded with the mounts that way), I cut them apart and never got around to welding them for vertical mounting.
> While I'm ordering lots of stuff, I was
> thinking of doing suspension as well. Does
> anyone has experience with the combination
> of Eibach springs and Tokico struts?
The Eibach springs are stiffer than stock by a bunch, and will lower your car about 1. I have them I know. If you want a smooth ride look at something else, but if you don't mind the stiffer ride I'd recommend them. As for struts I used Koni's.
> Please speak from your own experience and
> tell me what year and model, part numbers
> are also nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: "6 into 2" or "6 into 1" a

> I have a '76 280Z that I need to replace the
> complete exhaust system. While I'm at it I'd
> like to do headers. Motorsport offers two
> versions, the 6 into 2 and
> 6 into 1. I don't have an EGR
> system or Oxygen sensor so I don't need the
> threaded holes if they don't have them. Is
> there a preference for either one over the
> other?

> They also offer a Turbo Exhaust
> System that's 2 1/2. I've heard
> that it is a loud system. How well does it
> actually fit and is it really that loud?

> While I'm ordering lots of stuff, I was
> thinking of doing suspension as well. Does
> anyone has experience with the combination
> of Eibach springs and Tokico struts?

> Please speak from your own experience and
> tell me what year and model, part numbers
> are also nice.

I have an '83 ZX n/a with the 6 into 2 header, 2.5 exhaust, DynoMax Hi-Flo Cat, and the Motorsport Turbo Exhaust System. I live in CA so I need the smog stuff. If I didn't have to wory about smog, I would have liked to put in a Nissan Motorsport 6 into 1 header. I have heard that they are the best! I ended up putting my header on myself and drove it to a muffler shop (with open header) to hang and weld the rest of it. If I had it to do over again, I would NOT by the exhaust system as a package. The DynoMax muffler that came with it sounds good, but I could have bought it for $40. The mandrel bent pipe is nice, but not worth the extra money. It would have been easier (and cheaper) to let the shop custom bend the pipe instead of working with the pre-bent stuff. As far as loudness goes, I'm sure my Hi-Flo cat cuts alot of it out. So, I couldn't tell you much about that. There was a DEFINITE power increase though.

If you are eventually planning on putting a larger throttle body on, then I would strongly recommend getting your intake manifold modified while you have it off. I picked one up at a junkyard and had it cleaned and bored to 60mm, and just swapped mine out .

My suspension consists of Eibach springs, KYB shocks/struts, Suspension Technics sway bars, and urathane bushings all around. The ride is nice...not too stiff, and it handles great. I chose the KYBs because they have a lifetime waranty (Tokico does NOT). If you can afford it, go for the Koni's. They are the best (IMO).

Hope this helps.

Mark Z.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Re: "6 into 2" or "6 into 1" a

> My suspension consists of Eibach springs,
> KYB shocks/struts, Suspension Technics sway
> bars, and urathane bushings all around. The
> ride is nice...not too stiff, and it handles
> great. I chose the KYBs because they have a
> lifetime waranty (Tokico does NOT). If you
> can afford it, go for the Koni's. They are
> the best (IMO).

I ordered KYB struts from MS as well as springs, bushings, etc. and was told that if you use the KYB struts with springs that lower your car, you void the lifetime warranty.
But you don't have to tell KYB that if they fail.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top