ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you seen those $6 deer guards? I am not sure if they work but am pretty confident that they have saved me on numerous occassions. And isnt $6 a cheap price to pay for the potential of saving your and your families lives?

They are little plastic joberdoes that stick to your bumper (one on the left one on the right). One emits an audible whistle and one emits a subsonic whistle. The theory is that deer have such good hearing that when a car is coming they can not distinguish where it is coming from. They hear it's sound bouncing off all the trees and rocks and what have you and they panic...and quite often cross the road. Other times they are just making a run for it. With these devised they can hone in on your car and dont seem to get scared. I am not sure if they have been scientifically proven but I have three friends who are claims adjusters and they have never seen a vehicle that was totalled by a deer with these deer guards on them. Of course that has a lot to do with the fact that not too many know about them but I do come from deer country and more people have them than you would think. I know of about 30 cars that run them and nobody has ever had to slam on the brakes or swerve to miss an animal...now children are a whole different story. (One woman had hit 3 deer before installing them and since has hit none) In addition quite often I will drive by a group of deer standing right at the edge of the road. They just watch me drive by but never jump. They can hear where I am coming from and so they don't panic. maybe they work, maybe they don't but for $5 I am willing to give it a try especially since I drive in excess of 120mph on a regular basis and even at lower speeds in a Z car - a deer in the road = a deer through my windsheild...and with 5 point harnesses that = a deer in my face and certain death.

These things work for most animals. I have seen cats, dogs and horses stand no more than 3 feet from the side of the road and not even flinch as I drove by at very high rates of speed. Of course cows hear me too...but they are so stupid that they just stop where they are (even if it is in the middle of the road and I am barrelling down on them) and watch me. At least the other animals get out of harms way. Cows is fur eatin' not thinkin'.

Oh, and you can get pretty creative where you put them. There are rules about what angle they sit at but I have mounted them in places where they didnt look so conspicious so it didnt change the look of my car. The are a little smaller than a big lighter each.

I have seen them all over but most recently in J.C.Whitney. I have seen them in black and chrome. They are so cheap for what they do that I have gotten them for all my friends. I just figure that if you are worth having a friendship with you are worth investing $6 on just to keep you around. And, Yes, I already have enough friends so don't ask me to buy you some. LOL And, No, I do not get any type of compensation for these things selling except to know that maybe some extra lives will be saved and some extra Z-cars will be spared.

just thought I would let you all know.

take care y'all. This is a great list a great bunch of people.

Houston

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I dont have one and I have never even seen a deer near the road in front of me.

One of my friend's parents smashed through a deer, they had em (cuz when I was looking at their bashed front end I asked "whats this thing" and pointed to the only one that was still attached to the hood)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, you do need to make sure they stay dirt free in order to work and some people don't notice when one falls off...or dont install them right (all of those are necessary for them to work). Of course nothing is fool proof but I can tell you that from my experience they work. Even if you are doubtful the $6 isnt too much for the CHANCE that they might work...is it?

Then again I am the only person I know that wears yellow night driving glasses (they assist with defusing the bright lights from other's headbeams and make it easy to see at night) just to add even the tiniest amount of extra safety for myself.

take care

Houston Gray

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
There's never been any proof that those things work. How loud do you honestly think they get? They would need to be loud enough to bother animals 1/4 mile away, and there's no way they can do that. Deer by the side of the road are usually not a problem unless you're driving too fast or not paying attention. The ones to worry about are the ones running. Is a sound off in the distance to the side going to make them stop running? When I was living in Montana there was an article in the paper about those things. They interviewed a bunch of highway patrol and park service people. Almost none of them had any faith in the things, yet almost all had them on their cars "just in case."

So.. buy them if it makes you feel better but don't count on them to keep the deers away! Drive carefully and be on alert any time you can't keep an eye on the side of the road. I saw many, many large animals by the side of the road and in the road when I lived up there, but luckily never hit any. As far as good luck charms go, they're pretty cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a set of those things... They survived _1_ night on my work truck (I was working in the trucking industry at the time) Got to banff townsite and they were spooking the elk really badly... They were ripped off moments after the 3-4th run in with wildlife... I'd rather a paralyzed with fear animal than a spooked one in front of my vehicle thankyouverymuch!

Seemed to work nicely on coyotes tho...

Andy

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldnt have any doubt that an animal with hearing like a dog or a deer can hear a low whistle at 1/4 mile and a subsonic they can hear even farther away than that. The next time I am at my dad's place I will test it on his dogs. I will take my extra set, hike a ways away (1/4 mile and maybe 1/2 mile and maybe even more) and have my brother watch the dogs to see how they react. I will report back.

I am not a big believer in lucky charms but the fact that the highway patrol was using them even though they had no physical proof that they worked is good enough for me.

Houston Gray

·
Registered
261 Posts
Elephants & water buffalo!!

I wonder if they would work on elephants? Those buggers refuse to get out of the way in the plantation area where a friend of mine lives. You don't get many being used in Malaysia - more of them in Thailand. The water buffalo are worse though. As soon as you get off the beaten track and head out on the coastal roads, you gotta be careful. Those things are huge - like they're made of concrete!!

Ian

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Deer whistles, Slick 50 and

the Tornado device! How's about all of you send me $6 and I'll send you my custom one size fits all muffler belts to aid in the expelling of exhaust. Rated for an additional 10 HP and the exhaust clears the wildlife behind you to prevent others from running into them-thereby getting you a good citizen award also.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I am no logicists but we have already admitted that there is no proof that they work. We can infer from that that there is also no proof that they don't work. So to say that you know that they spook the animals seems far fetched. I have run them for over 200,000 miles and have never seen any signs of them spooking the animals. Of course it could be something else that keeps them from being spooked around but I doubt it. But to each their own. I am just so surprised when I run into people who haven't heard of them so I figured I would mention it.

Houston Gray

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Deer whistles, Slick 50 and

you send me the documentation on the 'rated for an additional 10 hp', convince me where this attaches to my muffler and show me even preliminary evidence that exhaust clears wildlife and I will buy 2.

and just for fun since you are joking around that your device is as effective as theirs try to sell your and see if you make even close to what they do. Like I said, we have no proof that theirs works (other than word of mouth) but the reasoning behind their claims is a lot more believable than anything you could come up with.

Have fun guys,
Happy Halloween

Houston Gray

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Elephants & water buffalo!!

na, I am guessing they are just like cows. They know they are so big that you are going to do whatever you can to avoid them. I wont say they are as stupid as cows...because not too many animals are...but probably just as stubborn.

Houston Gray

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Re: There's only one cure...

...for Bambi-itis - HOT LEAD.

Here in the wild kingdom - a half mile outside the Beltway, I've got more deer than dogs and cats combined. I've had as many as 10 using my lawn for a resort - and I've got the smallest half acre place in the development. You can almost walk up to them before they scatter. Large trucks going at double the speed limit don't bother them at the side of the road. They leap out of the interchanges into oncoming traffic. Within recent memory, several have gone right thru the windshields and killed the drivers of at least two Volvos and a step van.

If you think that some pc. of plastic crap is going to protect you, you fit the profile that Bugs would call an Ultramaroon.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Deer....they're always on the road when you don't want them to be there, but when you go hunting, they're nowhere to be found.

That goes for all animals. It's wierd.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: There's only one cure...

Maybe you should give the original post a little re-read. I didn't think this was the type of list that had people that would start accusing perfect strangers of being Ultramoroons but I guess I was wrong. I said originally that I wasn't sure if they worked but that $6 isn't a bad price for something that might work. And maybe you misunderstood...these little 'pc of plastic crap' is not intended to take the impact of an animal.

Anyways not every place with animals is just like where you are. Obviously there are going to be places where they are more familiar with cars. In addition just because people have been killed in cars by deer does not mean these don't work. I hope you can see that there is actually no correlation unless you ran a test with cars with these things.

Besides you are not running at the speeds that I am and don't need to worry quite as much about an animal coming through your windshield.

Do you have anything nice to say or just things of a negative nature?

Houston Gray

·
Registered
571 Posts
That reminds me of a time crossing the Alligator Alley about 15 years ago.
Ya see we have these **** Florida Panthers and they just stop and look at you as you come flying down the empty Everglades Road.
Like a fool I swerved to avoid this cat, my car recovered the high-speed swerve but next time I would have to plaster it. I could of rolled that car and died.
Well today they have this 100-mile fence with tunnels under this road so these cats can pass without being splattered.
We need something to frighten our snakes and gators as well as our deer N cats.

M&M

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Hang in there, hgrey!!!...when you find something that works for you and you share it with us someone always bursts the balloon...now I don't know if a "deer whistle"
works 'cause I don't have any...BUT...I also wear yellow (prescription) glasses both day & night...AND THEY DO WORK!!!!!!!!...Illigitimus non carborundum... :eek:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.