ZCar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new here, so sorry if there's already threads about this, I looked but couldn't find any about it specifically. I want to find a 6-1 header for my Datsun, that has clearance. Everything on the car is bone stock. Want to do straight pipe from header back, so delete the cat and muffler. So, does anyone know of a good 6-1 header that will fit the L28 on a 1983 280zx? Don't bother telling me to just buy a different Z, I like my car. Thanks for any help you can provide!

P.S. Any wheels that look good? I want black, 17x8.5, 4x114.3, not sure about offset, never bought tires before at all, kinda confusing to be honest. I was looking at rota D2ex, just not sure about offset.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There are a couple different headers out there. Some specifically for the ZX, but most for earlier year Zs. I am bit confused if the earlier ones will fit the ZX or not. I believe most all should bolt up but am unsure about clearance with the steering system and then it may depend on whether it’s manual or power steering. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Wheels:

(I copied this from another thread I posted in, it should give you a good idea of what sizes and offsets work)

If you look at the Whitehead Performance site they have good info in the notes of their wheel description. The one I linked below for this 15x8 0 offset it says “Datsun 280ZX does not usually require any modification for fitment.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,780 Posts
Hey, I'm new here, so sorry if there's already threads about this, I looked but couldn't find any about it specifically. I want to find a 6-1 header for my Datsun, that has clearance. Everything on the car is bone stock. Want to do straight pipe from header back, so delete the cat and muffler. So, does anyone know of a good 6-1 header that will fit the L28 on a 1983 280zx? Don't bother telling me to just buy a different Z, I like my car. Thanks for any help you can provide!

P.S. Any wheels that look good? I want black, 17x8.5, 4x114.3, not sure about offset, never bought tires before at all, kinda confusing to be honest. I was looking at rota D2ex, just not sure about offset.
Make sure you know your state's noise laws before doing this with no muffler. A glass-pack in the tailpipe provides almost no resistance and moderates exhaust noise.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
check out www.xenonzcar.com in S130 section

also, check out this site for everything engine related on the L-series engine for the Z

any header will basically work on any L-series, however that can depend on the head you have... again check the above reference for which heads came on which blocks, on which cars. some heads have the round exhaust ports, some have the square ports, and some have the diamond ports. I have a pacesetter header that I had on my 76 280z, and I think it had the square ports, I can't remember for sure. You have to know which head you have so you get the right header. the Z store has the headers that you need. Keep in mind that these tend to have exhaust leaks more so than a stock manifold. it has to do with the way the flange butts up against the head. I had special tabs welded on mine so that the washers would flatten up against the bolt when tightened, thus preventing exhaust leaks, however this was on the pacesetter. I don't know if the Z store headers have this issue.

Now, you have an NA car... and its a 2+2... unless you're doing engine mods for power, you're just going to be driving around in a big, slow, loud mess....
And I'm not hating on the idea... I like the ZX and I like the 2+2s. But, if it is sound that you want, you will just have that- a loud car. This is just my own opinion.

Please read the two above websites before you make any exhaust system purchases... You'll thank yourself later.

All the best,

Bon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check out www.xenonzcar.com in S130 section

also, check out this site for everything engine related on the L-series engine for the Z

any header will basically work on any L-series, however that can depend on the head you have... again check the above reference for which heads came on which blocks, on which cars. some heads have the round exhaust ports, some have the square ports, and some have the diamond ports. I have a pacesetter header that I had on my 76 280z, and I think it had the square ports, I can't remember for sure. You have to know which head you have so you get the right header. the Z store has the headers that you need. Keep in mind that these tend to have exhaust leaks more so than a stock manifold. it has to do with the way the flange butts up against the head. I had special tabs welded on mine so that the washers would flatten up against the bolt when tightened, thus preventing exhaust leaks, however this was on the pacesetter. I don't know if the Z store headers have this issue.

Now, you have an NA car... and its a 2+2... unless you're doing engine mods for power, you're just going to be driving around in a big, slow, loud mess....
And I'm not hating on the idea... I like the ZX and I like the 2+2s. But, if it is sound that you want, you will just have that- a loud car. This is just my own opinion.

Please read the two above websites before you make any exhaust system purchases... You'll thank yourself later.

All the best,

Bon
I know my car shares the same engine as the 280z's, but I'm not sure if they'll fit due to other engine pieces, like steering box and whatnot. I do plan to do a few things to the engine, like new intake, camshaft, and a proper tune of course, not sure what else. I find it funny that you call it big, as it's one of the smallest cars I've ever seen! Also it's only an inch longer, and 2 inches wider that the 280z, and depending where you look, either 10 lbs lighter or 100 lbs heavier only. I appreciate the advice, thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
it's bigger than a coupe 280zx haha.

they are basically all the same. the blocks, heads, intakes, exhausts, transmissions. and they are pretty much interchangeable with some slight differences. there is no difference in size, the engines- BUT there are a lot more things in the engine bay on a late 280zx than there is on an early 280z.

if you're looking to modify it for power in its NA state, the best that I would do is pair the 83 block (F54) with an N42 head with a header. this combination will give you a higher compression ratio with the flat-top pistons and still be able to use pump gas. And you already got the 3.90 diff which works great on the NA zx.
Personally I would do a carb conversion with this setup. There's a lot of options out there that you can go with.

Bon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Convert it to a carburetor? From fuel injection? What advantages would that bring exactly? Also, you're right, it's 7 inches longer than the 280zx coupe, I must've been looking at the 2 seater.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Trust me when you get in a coupe ZX and then get in a 2+2 ZX, if feels freakin' huge cause it is hahahahah.

So, I don't think there is a big advantage with the carbs over the FI, but both have their pros and cons. And they carb setups just seem go run better with a header.
With carbs, you don't have to deal with all the computer, electrical, and airflow components that you have on the FI cars. This means more space and less clutter in the engine bay. And it looks way cleaner. But where as FI is more stable and reliable, the carbs require tuning and may take some experience to get use to. But, when both systems are tuned and working right, the engines run great!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well im a big guy, 6'6, and built like a linebacker, not sure I could go with anyrhing much smaller to be honest. And yeah I have no idea how to work on carbs, and it's a little intimidating to try and learn, but it would be nice to clear up some of the clutter under the hood for sure

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Well, just stick with the stock fuel injection. You can always go carb later if you really want to. I've always wanted to do it as well, but I'm also new to carbs. Maybe some other time haha.
check out that Z garage website and read up on the engine setup configurations, there is a lot of good info on there.

Bon

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 82 ZX is hot from the header I put on and very loud even with the MSA exhaust on it. The 83 ZX I’m working on has a warped exhaust manifold but I found super thick gasket to fix. I agree with both Zpilgrim and ZBonfire “keep it simple”

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
No one sells a 6 into 1 header for the 280zx, only the 621 that uses a slip fit piping to connect to the exhaust system. For the ZX's I take the 621 and convert it to a 6 into 1 with a bolt on flange, see attached pic. When I do the modification, I pay particular attention to the angle of the new addition making sure that it angles even or slightly upward so that it won't hit the ground. The 621 header loses a little ground clearance and if you follow that same angle for the modification then you'll lose a lot of ground clearance. The cost adds up very quickly to do that conversion especially if it's ceramic coated afterwards like the one in the pic. Having the bolt on flange on the bottom makes a huge difference down the road for engine removal, trans removal, or exhaust removal. You're better off staying away from no muffler, instead have a 2.5" turbo muffler installed on a 2.5" piping. It will still make some noise so you can hear the engine but it will sound much better than open exhaust, draw less attention from Johnny Law, and your neighbors will like you a lot better. The original head on your car was a P79 which uses a round port exhaust header. The head number is just below the #1 spark plug. The stock injection will do all you need it to do and once those systems are dialed in they rarely ever need any work. Making sure that all the EFI conns are clean and then putting di-electric grease on all the injection connections is a huge asset for the future. The 82-83 ZX's also gets better fuel economy than all the previous years even when you juice it up a little bit. Z man of Washington

Attachments

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ agree with the above. I do seem to remember the header on my 280z not having good clearance and I would find the bottom of it scraping the ground and speed bumps while driving around, which is one of the reasons why I removed it and went with a turbo setup. but nonetheless, the sound of that header was pretty cool. The tip for adding the flange is a great idea. When my exhaust came off, they just cut it off :(

Bon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts