ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my 4spd with a 5spd a few weeks back and everything is going great except, When I'm in 5th gear and I let up the gas it pops out of gear. as long as I'm in the throttle or even just crusing all is good I just can't let off to much to fast. Any ideas?
Rob,

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: 5th gear pops out</b>

Had this happen to me with an MR2. It was only a shift fork. Have it taken care of post haste. I drove the MR2
for a week or so and ended up driving 35 miles in rush hour traffic with only 4th when the fork became so out of shape I couldn't engage any gear. Needless to say, I burned the clutch TO the flywheel and really destroyed the tranny.
While you're in for repair, go ahead and replace
the clutch and throw out bearing if they are showing any wear. It's cheap and will give you some peace of
mind for the next few years.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's the 4th to 5th synchro which is bad. The trany needs to be opened, and new synchros installed.(synchronizers)
Mike

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: 5th gear pops out</b>

While you're replacing the synchronizer inspect the teeth on fifth gear that are engaged by the synchro hub and sleeve. If the teeth are worn (aren't triangular shaped) it can cause the tranny to jump out of gear.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I disagree - check this out.

Ok,
first, i need to know what year 5 speed you put in your z. Also, what shifter did you use in the swap? If you have, well, actually, any 5 speed, and use a 4 speed shifter, you will encounter this problem as i did, and will eventually lose 5th gear. this is why it often looks like the syncros are bad, or even the gear. you need a shifter from a 78 Z 5 speed. this shifter has the curved upper portion like the earlier 4 speeds, but has a shorter part below the pivot point. what happens, is with the longer 4 speed,(by longer, i am refering to the part below the pivot point), sits further down in the trans, and when you go into 5th, it actually hits up on the shifter, preventing it from fully engaging 5th gear. it also does this to reverse, and somewhat to second. if you pull the shifter out and take a look at it, i would be willing to bet you will see a mark in the shifter where it hits the trans. it will be about halfway up from the bottom ball. ie halfway btw the pivot and the ball. the 78 shifter has the correct shorter bottom part, and will work.
another option is to take the later zx shifter bottom and cut off the top and weld the earlier curved top to it.
this is a very common, very unrecognized problem. it's symptoms are as others have described, but the cause is the incorrect shifter, not bad trans.
post if you have other questions. i have looked at both shifters side by side, and there is a noticable difference, and you can tell when you install the two, and take a close look, one will bind on the metal ears, not fully engaging some of the gears, most noticably 5th, which i just plain lost, ie nothing there - revs freely.
hope this helps. i ordered the shifter and got a lot of the info from Zbarn in tennesee. great people, great prices.
-bob hanvey
240 3.1L

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bob H, check this out.

Welcome back,
I am using a 81 5spd in my 75Z. I noticed what you descibed before I installed the 5spd. This is what I did. I heated up the shifter out of the 5spd and bent it so that it has all the right bends and does not bind or hit anything. I would think that this would take care of the problem that you mentioned. Am I incorrect?
Thanks
Rob,

·
Registered
361 Posts
RE: Bob H, check this out.

Rob,
I assume you are talking about the ZX shifter that is almost straight. BTW roger, that is why i say to utilize the 78 shifter, b/c you don't need to do what rob is talking about, ie heat up and bend the original shifter. the zx shifter is too upright to use in the Z, it hits things. but back to you rob, that should solve the problem i was talking about, assuming it is a zx shifter. if you are using the funky,(much different from the z), shifter, then i would say your prob is internal. i would lead towards worn shift forks, maybe the syncros. i am not really knowledgable on the internals of the trans. that is the one area i defer to the experts.
and thanks for the welcome back. i have always been here, i just have chosen to not post on much lately. a lot of the same questions are circulating again.
-bob hanvey

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bob H, check this out.

Yes, It is a ZX shifter. When I swapped the 5spd for the 4spd I also did the works (new clutch, pressure plate, t/o bearing ang had the flywheel resurface or gound. I would agree that trannys are something left to the experts.
Thanks again for your help.
Rob,

·
Registered
117 Posts

O.K. let me get this straight - I can use the ZX shifter but I need to bend it to clear the console/transmission hump -or- I can change the shifter to one from a '78 model (how do you know which is a 78?) The 78 transmission is different but I assume the shifters are interchangable.

·
Registered
361 Posts

roger,
you are on the right lines, but you bend the zx shifter to keep it from hitting the dash where the vent/heat controls are. as for the 78, you must specify the 5 speed. that is all you need to worry about. 78 was the first official year they had a 5 speed available for the z. some 77's had them, but it was rare, so the parts list does not reflect that. of course, in 79, the switch was to the zx. that is why it is the 78. the way to tell if you have two side by side is to look at the part below the pivot point. it will be noticeably shorter on the 5 speed one.
-bob hanvey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.