ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
allright, over the summer i am switching my 280 to from an auto to a 5 speed.

my questions are, how long will a 5 speed last if i am getting it out of a junkyard? i know the engines go for ever, but would a used one work or would i be better off going for a rebuilt.

also what should a rebuilt cost, some one quoted me $450 and i that sounded great to me, but i'm more of a sax player then a mechanic.

thanks for the help

mike

also what should i pay for one out of a junk yard?

·
Registered
625 Posts
You need to replace the countershaft bearings if you will be driving it hard. nissan has an improved rear countreshaft bearing that can take the hard shift abuse. you should be able to get a used 5 speed for $100-$150. If you rebuild it yourself you should be able to do it for less than $70 if you only replace the countershaft bearings. BTW I speak from experience as i have toasted two tranny rear cs bearings. Also you need to beef up the pins that hold the shifting mechanism on There are six of them. They will shear and render your tranny useless under hard shifting. I believe electramotive sells the heavy duty roll pins but if not you can use a heavy duty nail and bend it slightly to keep it f rom sliding back out.. Later,norm

·
Registered
680 Posts
Here alittle tip. You dont know who had the car befor it was in a junkyard. It can be almost new of if the guy drives it fast it could be crap

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
how tough is that norm?

I have a late 5-spd in the car now with a bad input shaft bearing. I'm going to switch it with an early 5 spd I have in the garage. Problem is I drive 60 miles a day to and from work, mostly highway, and hate to give up that great overdrive in the bad tranny

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Used 5 spds

When you are looking at a used 5spd, pull the magnetic plug. It will tell you more about the transmission then
the wrecking yard or other seller will. If it has fine hairs only, it probably will be ok. If it has chunks that you can feel, prepare to rebuild it.
This method has worked almost all of the time on our used trans. We do not sell them if they have chunks on the magnet, just rebuild them.
Good luck, Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Shooz... Fine Hairs or Chunks?</b>

Shooz,

I have a late model 5 speed sitting in the garage... I haven't checked it for fine hairs or chunks but could tonight. Does yours have chunks or fine hairs? Want to trade?

Which state are ya in?

Dennis

P.S. Shooz... make sure those fine hairs are straight....

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Shooz... Fine Hairs or Chunks?

I watched my 4speed that was in my Z origionally die. Was pretty neat. All of a sudden it went clunk clunk clunk WEEEEEEE and that was it. When I drained the fluid, I think half the transmission innards spilled out in the process. I bought a 81 5-speed. haha
brett

·
Registered
625 Posts
shooz

a rebuild is pretty easy if you have some basic mechanical experience. the hardet part for me was gettin that stupid nut loose they indent it at the factory and it is hard to get off. I sounds to me like your cs bearing is bad i havent heard of an input shaft going bad. Later,norm

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: shooz

A Chevy bud told me it was input shaft bearing. It makes a bad throwout bearing noise when the clutch pedal is OUT. also whines in 1st and 2nd. depress the clutch and noise goes away. Always been shy about going in trannys and carbs.sorta like a watch..takin it apart aint the hard part

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.