Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo!

Will a '77 5-speed tranny from a 280Z 2+2 go into my '72 240Z? I know the one from the non-2+2 will, but is there any difference? What about the ratios? Are they the same between the 2+2 and the regular 280Z?

The tranny is the only part I plan to use, I realize I'll have to get lots of other parts from non-2+2 280Z's.

Thanks!
-rr

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes it will, you may have to cut part of your tunnel where the shifter comes through, maybe about an inch forward to allow for the shifter to move freely. You will not be able to use the 2+2 driveshaft. As far as the gear ratios are concerned, if you don't have a Haynes manual for your Z, go pick one up. It will have all the different gear ratios.
Later,
Tim Deesen
71' 240ZT
CA TS 240ZT

> Will a '77 5-speed tranny from a 280Z 2+2 go
> into my '72 240Z? I know the one from the
> non-2+2 will, but is there any difference?
> What about the ratios? Are they the same
> between the 2+2 and the regular 280Z?

> The tranny is the only part I plan to use, I
> realize I'll have to get lots of other parts
> from non-2+2 280Z's.

> Thanks!
> -rr
> .

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure the 2+2 and 2 seater 5 spds are the same gearing. But, depending on the year of trans and your rear end ratio. It could actually slow the car down. The smart money is on a 1982 N/T 2+2 5 spd, and while your there get the 3.90 rear end out of it. Don't forget the flywheel and clutch. You'll need to modify the shifter, bend it to an S shape. Need halfshafts too.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> Yes it will, you may have to cut part of
> your tunnel where the shifter comes through,
> maybe about an inch forward to allow for the
> shifter to move freely.

I'm under the understanding that if you use the tranny from a '77-'79 280Z, the shifter hooked up to it doesn't require bending, and fits perfect into any '72-'79 Z. I thought the cutting was only on pre'72 Z's. Do you know abou this? I'm not really worried about cutting the tunnel, it's not going to be a restoration car or anything. Just nice.

> You will not be able
> to use the 2+2 driveshaft.

Yeah, that's one of the parts I was planning on getting from the '77-'79 regular 280Z.

> As far as the
> gear ratios are concerned, if you don't have
> a Haynes manual for your Z, go pick one up.
> It will have all the different gear ratios.

I've got one, I just didn't think to look there. Duh. :) Thanks!

rr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.