ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second gear grinds hard after shifting from first above 2500 rpm and when i'm downshifting from 2500 rpm in 3rd. I'm going to attempt to remove it this weekend assuming that I don't have to actually take out the whole engine. Anyone got any tips or ideas of why could be wrong with the gear, i'm hoping that it's only tranny oil that needs replacing or just the gear ratios.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
If you have a Haynes manual it documents the manual transmission removal process very well. If you are not familiar with yanking transmissions in and out definitely do your research first.

You won't have to remove the engine or anything of that sort - it's mostly a matter of getting all of the other stuff below it out of the way (Front Exhaust Tube, Cat Converter, Heat sheild, Driveshaft, and connectors). Unless you have a tranny jack I would also recommend a friend to help balance and remove.

There is good information here about the tranmission itself:

http://az-zbum.com/information.transmission.shtml

Good luck and post if you have questions.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
It's not that bad if you have a buddy to do it with 2 floor jacks - that's what I did and it worked out. The transmission isn't actually that heavy. I'm not a big guy and with a friend we took care of it no problem.

It would have nullified my "money saving" philosophy with replacing the clutch myself if I were to rent the tranny jack (at $50 a day), especially since I had the tranny out for a couple of days. If you do not have someone to help though - you will definitely need the tranny jack.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In all essence it is still basically a bolt on part though, so it shouldn't be that difficult to remove, just remember where everything goes right?

·
Registered
657 Posts
make sure you label them good too........... when i did my rebuild i didnt label very good.......... i wrote things like intake, fuelrail, and after 6 months when i went back to it i had to take a few minutes straightening out what went were......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.