ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the engine and 5-speed transmission into my '71. As I'd expected, the shifter is several inches forward, which means my center console either has to be modified or swapped for a '72 or later console.

Will the part with the stereo and heater controls fit the later-model console or will other modifications be needed?

Follow-up question would be is there anyone out there with a '72 console they would part with?

Thanks!

http://ace240z.com/current.html

·
Registered
233 Posts
You can also modify the shift lever so that it clears. It takes a cut and then welding plus some bending, but it can be done. Do some searching. The good thing is you do not have to hack up the console.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You can also modify the shift lever so that it clears. It takes a cut and then welding plus some bending, but it can be done. Do some searching. The good thing is you do not have to hack up the console.
I did this many years ago, I went to a Metal shop with a large bending machine and they bent the Shifter in proper position in like 2 minutes. No Heating no cutting Etc.. Fit perfect.

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Enlarging the hole in the tunnel where the shifter protrudes doesn't bother me because the car has endured a lot of hacking by previous owners, and I've done some mods myself, but the original question remains:

If I use a '72 center console, will the "front console" (with the stereo and heater controls) attach to it without modifications?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Enlarging the hole in the tunnel where the shifter protrudes doesn't bother me because the car has endured a lot of hacking by previous owners, and I've done some mods myself, but the original question remains:

If I use a '72 center console, will the "front console" (with the stereo and heater controls) attach to it without modifications?

Changing over to the newer console isn't without issues. You're going to also have to change to the 72 choke cables, and the 72 ashtray won't fit as good as it should if you even use it.. Cutting the early console isn't that big of a deal. You have to make a half moon size notch on the front end right in the middle. It needs to be about 1" tall and about 2" wide at the bottom. I sell an all leather shift boot that fits in there very nicely and you put a piece of foam rubber under the boot so that it pushes the boot into the notch you cut. That way you'll never even see the notch. You do need to use the rubber shift boot and retaining ring out of the 72-78 z. I've done that conversion many times through the years and they turn out very nice. I've also done a modified shift tower but be aware that it increases the throw from front to back significantly. I prefer modifying the console and then I also do a shortened shifter. I take 2" out of the shift tower and with the way that I do it, you can't even tell it's been done other than a shorter throw.
Z Man of Washington

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the information and advice!

I did some measuring and drew the existing assembly in AutoCAD, and after trying some different options I decided to go with a modified shifter. I'll use the base of the shifter - the part that connects with bushings to the transmission - then weld a piece of steel bar to that, thread a hole into it and screw the shaft into the hole. I can center the relocated shifter in the existing cutout and still use the '70-'71 rubber boot. Should work pretty well.

Here's the page I put together on my site to show the design: http://ace240z.com/shifter.html

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out the joke's on me. I was digging thru a box of parts that came with the car... and found a tightly bent shifter that misses the console. Looking at the base I can see where it was heated with a torch.

When I bought the car years back I remember seeing the shifter but thought it must have come from a different model, and I thought it looked kinda goofy, but now I can get back to work on other things.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts