ZCar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 5 speed in my '72 and experiencing a problem. During track days, when cornering and down shifting to 3rd the transmission will jump out of third into neutral under acceleration. If I hold the shift lever in gear for a few seconds it will remain in 3rd. Before I open it up and consider changing the syncros is it possible that the detent ball springs (or check springs) are weak and not holding the fork rod in 3rd?

·
Registered
24 Posts
What year 5 speed is it and what shifter are you using ? Your 72 stock shifter only work as-is in 72 to 77 4 and 5 speeds. Early 78 only also, however if you have a 79 to 83 trany the early shifter isnt a drop in and with good shifter bushings will not go all the way into gear. The late 78 shifter is NLA Nissan but if you source one the pivot end is shorter like a ZX shifter.
Steve

·
Registered
96 Posts
What year 5 speed is it and what shifter are you using ? Your 72 stock shifter only work as-is in 72 to 77 4 and 5 speeds. Early 78 only also, however if you have a 79 to 83 trany the early shifter isnt a drop in and with good shifter bushings will not go all the way into gear. The late 78 shifter is NLA Nissan but if you source one the pivot end is shorter like a ZX shifter.
Steve
I had this type of problem when I put a 5 speed tranny in my 75Z. My 4 speed shifter would not stay in 5th because the opening for the shifter was a bit too small. We ended up cutting a notch in the shifter itself to allow it the extra room. What is cool though is the 4 speed shifter actually shortens the throw a bit. That's nice.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a '72 shifter and a '83 5 speed. I get what is said about needing a later lever that mates with the 5 speed but SOL. Would all that is needed to do is enlarge the front of the hole in the body work so the handle can go forward far enough or will the shifter totally not work? Also, the problem only seems to be with 3rd and not 1st or 5th.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can only speak to the years I’ve worked on similar cars as the 240Z I had recently redone is the only Nissan I’ve ever owned.
But if you are able to hit all gears and third is Popping out it sounds like a synchro issue.
Unless that is there is an obstruction to completing the entire pattern like is being suggested.
I have found it can be hard to locate a decent Manual trans as they tend to get abused far more than auto cars.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that!?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Reviewing other posts I have changed the detent springs and will reinstall it for the season and look to see if there is something obstructing the forward movement of the shift lever. Perhaps it is just the rubber boot getting in the way by bunching up against the lever and the body. If so I will cut out any problem. I have a spare 4 speed to use if it gets worse and the synchros need to be replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts