Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im guesing the synrchos gone?

all other gears work fine. the higher the rpms when shifting fast the worse it grinds going into gear unless i do a really slow shift then its fine and doesnt grind at all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Give the throttle a little blip before shifing into third. This should stop the grinding inthe short term. Probably is the synchros.

My 5 speed did this for about 4 years with a turbo motor in front of it. Last saturday the tranny went at the race track pulling hard in third going up a hill. It made a horrble sound, and then lots of clickty clacking....

Pete

·
Registered
237 Posts
You are guessing correctly - synchros - you may want to pull the drain plug at the bottom of the tranny and look on the magnet on the drain plug and see how much metal is on the magnet. Won't tell you how far gone the synchros are, but at least you'll know how much metal you've lost off them.

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
I had the same problem hitting 2nd.

I replaced the transmission fluid with Redline MTL and the problem has nearly disappeared.

Try the redline first.

btw the problem bettered itself over 1 month period once the redline worked it's magic.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Yup, probably syncros. Third is a common gear to go kaput the reason being is that many people will downshift from 4th to 3rd and this is hard on the syncronizers.

Dave

·
Registered
987 Posts
Not to threadjack, but I've got the same sort of problem, and I was going to go buy some Redline MT-90 as opposed to the MTL. Is there a reason I should get the MTL over the MT-90?
Cheers,
Andrew

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
Redline recommend MTL-90 for Nissan on their web site.

It is *slightly* thicker and supposed to be quieter.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Double-clutch it until you fix, or get used to shifting in the right rpm band, where you don't need a clutch. (The blip trick)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.