ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 5 speed out of a 75 280z fit directly into a 73 240z? My 240 is a later '73, with a cross-pin & bushing type shift lever mount and a splined drive shaft connection. Will my driveshaft, etc., work as is?

(I am considering buying the tranny unseen - it comes with a warranty for quality, but not for wasted labor if it doesn't fit.) Thanks.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
5-speeds definitely did not come in Z cars until the '77 model year. Which is not to say the one the guy is trying to sell you is NOT a five-speed. They're easy to change out and the swap is a common one. For specifics on how to swap a fiver into a 240, check the archives and various links on this website. A particularly helpful website for questions like this is The Datsun Z Garage (http://www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/z.html). I believe the swap you're contemplating is a relatively straightforward one, although I'm pretty sure you will have to swap the driveshaft, too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am doing a 280 tranny swap into my 72 240, and most people i talk to that have done it say that the drve shaft is fine for the new tranny.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Installed a 77 5-Speed into my 72...the driveshaft bolts right up as does the tranny to the block...the only issue is bending the shift lever and slightly "altering" the transmission tunnel to allow for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.