ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just currios, besides the radiator,ring gear, coolant lines and the torque converter ,drive shaft and shifter , oh and bigger brake pedal, what else is needed for a 5 SPD to auto transmision conversion? Is there a kick down switch under the gas pedal?? This is for an '83 ZXT with a Borg Warner, Id rather use the 5 SPD in my 240Z, I think the ZXT would perform better with the auto in it, and my wife could also drive it too. I can do the swap over the weekend for about $200 bucks. And are most automatic transmisions the same? ie, 280Z and 280ZX ??? Thanks....Ruben.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've heard that an automatic can be faster because during aceleration, you dont loose as much boost when shifting as in an automatic. I dont know how true it is though. But if you check the archives, there's alot about the conversion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen 0 to 60 times over a second faster and thats with a 3:54 that the automatics came with and my 5 SPD came with a 3:70 in '83 with the Borg Warner transmision. Just wondering what else I might need.
ZRube

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If your A/C doesn't work you can use the condenser in frount of the raiderator as a oil cooler for the AT. Works great on my 79 F350, it gets warm, but not near as hot as the raderator on hard work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.