Registered
205 Posts
> Hey has anyone here had a 5 spd put in
> their car? if so, how much did it cost and
> what is a good company to go with? Jesse
> [email protected]
> 76 280Z
Jesse,

I put a 5 speed in my 71. Your car is much easier because the hole in the tranny tunnel lines up with the shifter. All you need is a good tranny. Try to find one from an 81 or newer 280zx, and pay to have it rebuilt. A reasonable total after the rebuild is $550 to $600. The actual mechanics are easy, just follow any good service manual's instructions, and make sure to change the clutch while you're at it. Motorsport Auto, Arizona Z car and Impact Parts are all pretty helpful as far as finding the necessary parts. Good Luck

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Do you plan on doing it yourself? I got a 5speed from a local wrecking yard for 185.00 and rented a tranny jack and it went pretty quick and easy. Also need a alignment tool if you decide to replace the clutch while you have the tranny out. A good idea if the clutch is a few years old. I also got one from one of those import engine places for 150.00 a while back, got a english one, the reverse was oppisite of first gear. I liked that one, made it easy to get out of mud and backing up and hiting first real fast. It wasn't a real heavy duty 5speed though, blew out 1st after a few years...

> Hey has anyone here had a 5 spd put in
> their car? if so, how much did it cost and
> what is a good company to go with? Jesse
> [email protected]
> 76 280Z

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.