ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard would it be to drill and put new studs to convert to 5 lugs for the front and rear on my '73 240-Z? I am going to put a V-8 into my car and would like to be able to put some wider wheels (not to mention better looking) on the car. I am in the process of putting the R200 out of my '76 280Z in the '73. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure how to convert to 5 lugs, but I would like to do that too.

As for wheels, try Centerline or other billet wheel companies (Billet Specialties, Colorado Customs) as they custom make the wheels to your specs. I plan on going with Centerline due to the price, and imho polished aluminum is the best look for our vintage Z's.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After seeing the pics of the Dimers (510's) in the Sept/Oct issue of Z-Car mag. with 5-lug wheels, I thought that would be a nice upgrade to one of my cars. Unless there is a car out there that makes a good donor for a 5-lug Z, I think there are better places to spend $ & time.

IMHO it probably isn't worth the effort. I think that something as critical as this really needs to be done correctly & looking at the front spindle of one of my cars, I think you may have trouble maintaining good edge distance to the scallups where the threaded holes for the rotor mtg.

There are a lot of pumped 5.0 mustangs out there w/ 4 x 4-1/2 stud pattern. & this is a heavier car too.

A lot of racing has been done with full race engines and sticky tires on 4 stud z's.

Last but not least, the major fitment problem with the Z is the 0 offset. Most of the current cars have so much offset in the wheels & this is what the aftermarket suppliers are making. Just going to 5 lugs isn't going to fix this problem...

There are a reasonable (OK, maybe 5 or 6) wheels out there in 15 and 16 ~7 wide. These will fit 225-50 tires. For larger sizes, there are sources like Centerline & others that will produce whatever you need....

Boy, for my $.02 that was alot!!!!

tomh

·
Registered
382 Posts
> How hard would it be to drill and put new
> studs to convert to 5 lugs for the front and
> rear on my '73 240-Z? I am going to put a
> V-8 into my car and would like to be able to
> put some wider wheels (not to mention better
> looking) on the car. I am in the process of
> putting the R200 out of my '76 280Z in the
> '73. Any thoughts?

First of all there is not enough metel to drill and put new studs to convert to 5 lug.
I looked into this for my V8 240Z and found that the hub from a early chevy front drum brake fit perfectly on a Z hub, even the bearings are the same! All you need is a spacer between the new hub and spindle. I am now in the process of making an aluminum spacer to mount the original rotor in the proper position. That way you can still do the Toyota swap. As for the rear, I didn't check this because I put in a shortened chevy diff. As soon as I sort this out I'll put together a kit for those who are interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.